Columbia Grand Questionaires

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Re: Columbia Grand Questionaires

Post by ChuckA »

Scott,

Thanks for your machines information. Beautiful machine! I've had a few people ask about AD & AF, I hadn't planned on those as they have no serial number to put the information in any chronological order. But I think I'll add those models to the questionnaire and see what happens.

Chuck
Last edited by ChuckA on Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

phonohound
Victor II

Post by phonohound »

I too like the Columbia Grand machines for their beauty and ingenuity. Besides the GG, I like the AD for it's beauty and design. It was cleverly designed to play both Grand and standard size cylinders and has plenty of power.

I'm happy to help Chuck. I look forward to seeing the final results of your research.
Attachments
Columbia AD.jpg
Columbia AD 3.jpg
Columbia AD 2.jpg

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Well after a week there have been over 470 views in this thread but only data for 12 Grands has been reported. Does this mean that there are fewer Columbia Grands out there than was thought? If any of you that have viewed this thread know of a collector that has one please forward the questionnaire to them.

I've decided to add the Model AB to the database in addition to the AD & AF already listed. So if you have one please fill out the questionnaire for it.

Here is my recently acquired GG:

Sorry if they are a bit dark, my phono room is getting so packed it is hard to get good pictures in there.

So far it is the earliest I have data for (#268)

Again thanks to all those who have supplied their data to this project.

If Columbia used the 1-9999 number block for these and they actually used all 10,000 numbers
and a 2% survival rate is used there should be about 200 of these machines out there, so we have a long way to go.

Chuck

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

ChuckA wrote:
If Columbia used the 1-9999 number block for these and they actually used all 10,000 numbers
and a 2% survival rate is used there should be about 200 of these machines out there, so we have a long way to go.

Chuck
Chuck,

It's interesting that your GG carries the standard "The Graphophone" decal found on lesser models of the period. I've seen earlier GGs (we pictured a couple of early ones in The Talking Machine Compendium), but never noticed this decal on a GG cabinet. An interesting variation. :)

I've sent you a PM with this AB's serial number and other data.

The ABs were given their own serial block outside of the 1-9999 numbers, being serialed in a 750,000 block (beginning with 750001). There are a lot of ABs around, which is to be expected for a $25 machine which could play 5" cylinders (the least-expensive U.S. machine to do so).

Coincidentally, I acquired this AB back in 1983, about a month after the AG pictured on the 1st page of this thread. Funny how the machines look the same as they did then. I, on the other hand... :)

George P.
AB2.jpg
AB3.jpg
AB1.jpg

TinfoilPhono
Victor IV

Post by TinfoilPhono »

I bought my very minty AB back in 1962. :shock: :shock: Time sure flies. I paid $20 for it, including 4 Edison Concert cylinders in near-mint condition.

1) Serial Number (on metal ID Plate): 752554
2) Front decal type ("The Graphophone" or ?): The Graphophone
3) What cities & address are listed in bottom right of the decal?: New York & Paris
4) Reproducer (usually #4 or #5): #4
5) Reproducer lift type: T

ChuckA
Victor III

Post by ChuckA »

phonogfp wrote:
Chuck,

It's interesting that your GG carries the standard "The Graphophone" decal found on lesser models of the period. I've seen earlier GGs (we pictured a couple of early ones in The Talking Machine Compendium), but never noticed this decal on a GG cabinet. An interesting variation. :)

George P.
George,

I have a picture of a 2 digit serial number GG (no confirmed # yet) with the same decal.

Have 6 confirmed GG's, waiting for serial #'s

Chuck

StL Bill
Victor I

Post by StL Bill »

ChuckA wrote:
phonogfp wrote:
Chuck,

George P.
George,

I have a picture of a 2 digit serial number GG (no confirmed # yet) with the same decal.

Have 6 confirmed GG's, waiting for serial #'s

Chuck

Chuck;
I have the GG with the serial number of 41, and it does indeed have the same decal. I am not at home right now, but I will get all of the information along with pictures of both the GG and the AB tommorrow. I have been meaning to do so already, but have been extremely busy.

Bill

drboruff
Victor O

Post by drboruff »

Responses to questionnaire for 2 AGs and 1 HG.
David

Questionnaire Model HG

1) Serial Number: 1962
2) Front decal type: The Graphophone
3) What cities & address are listed in bottom right of the decal? New York, NY - 1155, 1157 and 1159 Broadway
4) 1st or 2nd style? 1st Style
5) Reproducer: #4

Questionnaire Model AG

1) Serial Number: 8911
3) What cities & address are listed in bottom right of the decal? New York, NY - 1155, 1157 and 1159 Broadway
4) Bed plate Type: Painted Aluminum (or pot metal)

Questionnaire Model AG

1) Serial Number: 3149
3) What cities & address are listed in bottom right of the decal? New York and Paris
4) Bed plate Type (unpainted aluminum, nickel plated steel, painted aluminum): Nickel plated brass (not steel)

ChuckA
Victor III

Post by ChuckA »

David,

Thanks for the information on your machines. Interestingly your HG & AG are the first ones that have been reported with the Broadway, NY address.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to send their information.
We are now at 32 Grands in the database, slowly getting there. Keep them coming in.

Chuck

ChuckA
Victor III

Post by ChuckA »

Well, for those of you who have submitted information on their Grand machines and those just interested,
here's an educated guess on the sequence of the GG, HG & AG machines. So far I have 26 units in the database
and have 6 more owners to contact.

Serial# Range 1 to ~400: First run of GG model
Serial# Range ~400 to ~2000: First style HG model
Serial# Range ~2000 to ~4000: Mix of first style AG & second run of GG models
Serial# Range ~5000 to ~7000: Second style HG model
Serial# Range ~7000 to 9999: Second style AG model

The gap between 4000 and 5000 is due to no numbers have been reported in that range.
Also I've rounded the ranges to blocks of numbers which may not be correct, numbers may have just changed anywhere, which
is probably the way it was done.

For the AB models, every one that has been reported so far has fallen between the numbers reported in the Hazelcorn book (750,510-759,029) no surprises there. One thing did come out is that two types of reproducer lift mechanisms were used. A "pin" type lift was used on the first few hundred units, at least up to 750,858. Then the more common "T" lift was used.

Still need more machines to have an accurate history of the Grand machines.

Chuck