StL Bill
Victor I

Re: Columbia Grand Questionaires

Post by StL Bill »

StL Bill wrote:
ChuckA wrote:
phonogfp wrote:
Chuck,

It's interesting that your GG carries the standard "The Graphophone" decal found on lesser models of the period. I've seen earlier GGs (we pictured a couple of early ones in The Talking Machine Compendium), but never noticed this decal on a GG cabinet. An interesting variation. :)

George P.
George,

I have a picture of a 2 digit serial number GG (no confirmed # yet) with the same decal.

Have 6 confirmed GG's, waiting for serial #'s

Chuck

Chuck;
I have the GG with the serial number of 41, and it does indeed have the same decal. I am not at home right now, but I will get all of the information along with pictures of both the GG and the AB tommorrow. I have been meaning to do so already, but have been extremely busy.

Bill[/quote

I finally have time to post the information on my GG and AB The GG is as follows;
Serial number: 41
Decal : Graphophone
Cities Listed: New York
Handles On Cabinet: No
Reproducer:#2
Lettering On Feedscrew Cover: Script
Any Other Information; As you might be able to see, There is a small lock installed on the front drop-down motor
access door on the front. As you might know, there was originally just a small release button there that easily dropped the front door down to enable you to release the latches that holds the lid on. I can only assume that this might have been an exhibitors machine and this lock was added to keep people from accessing the machine when the lid was on it. Just a guess.

Columbia AB:
Serial Number:751622
Decal: Graphophone
Cities Listed: New York and Paris
Reproducer: #5
Lift Lever Type: Lever
DSC03834 (Medium).JPG
DSC03837 (Medium).JPG
DSC03836 (Medium).JPG
DSC03833 (Medium).JPG
DSC03840 (Medium).JPG
[/attachment]
DSC04143.JPG
DSC04144.JPG
DSC04145.JPG

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

Bill

Thanks for the information on your machines.

Is the lift lever on your AB the standard "T" shape that pushes up the forked arm on the reproducer?
The pictures don't show the underside of the reproducer.

On the GG banner does it just have "New York" listed or are the Broadway addresses there also?

Thanks again
Chuck

StL Bill
Victor I

Post by StL Bill »

ChuckA wrote:Bill

Thanks for the information on your machines.

Is the lift lever on your AB the standard "T" shape that pushes up the forked arm on the reproducer?
The pictures don't show the underside of the reproducer.

On the GG banner does it just have "New York" listed or are the Broadway addresses there also?

Thanks again
Chuck
Chuck; Yes, the lift lever on the AB is the standard "T" shape, and the decal on the GG does have the Broadway addresses listed.

Bill

obmcclintock
Victor I
Personal Text: What can be cranked turns my crank.

Post by obmcclintock »

I need to ask a dumb question please. GG is of course Graphophone Grand. HG is Home Grand, What does AG stand for? I can not find it online. Thank you

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

obmcclintock wrote:I need to ask a dumb question please. GG is of course Graphophone Grand. HG is Home Grand, What does AG stand for? I can not find it online. Thank you
I've wondered the same thing. The AG was marketed as the "Columbia Grand," so I must assume that the "AG" designation simply meant that the machine was basically a Type AT with a Grand-size mandrel. :)

George P.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Post by ChuckA »

phonogfp wrote:
obmcclintock wrote:I need to ask a dumb question please. GG is of course Graphophone Grand. HG is Home Grand, What does AG stand for? I can not find it online. Thank you
I've wondered the same thing. The AG was marketed as the "Columbia Grand," so I must assume that the "AG" designation simply meant that the machine was basically a Type AT with a Grand-size mandrel. :)

George P.

George

That does seem to follow Columbia logic convention for machine naming. AT was an A with (T)wo springs.

Chuck

Yamaphone
Victor O

Post by Yamaphone »

Hi Chuck,

Here is some information about my HG Graphophone:

On patent plate Type HG #2018
Decal says The Graphophone
Cities listed are New York and Paris
Reproducer is the #4
Also, the machine was found in the attic of a home in Pawtucket RI. It had a 30" all brass horn. No crane found. Several Columbia & Edison cylinders found.
The carriage sleeve was pot metal which I have replaced with a brass replacement but I haven't gotten the piece nickel plated yet. Remaining carriage parts are solid metal.

Dan Z.
Attachments
HG Graphophone 009.JPG
HG Graphophone 010.JPG
HG Graphophone 005.JPG
HG Graphophone 002.JPG
HG Graphophone 004.JPG

ChuckA
Victor III

Post by ChuckA »

Dan

Thanks for the information on your HG. Beautiful machine, is that the condition it was found in?

Chuck

Yamaphone
Victor O

Post by Yamaphone »

I did very little to clean the machine. The carriage sleeve was tight but fortunately the person that found the machine decided to leave it in as-found condition.
It seems that quite a few of the grand machines survive in good condition, maybe because they became obsolete so quickly or maybe because the records were so expensive that the machines weren't used very much.

Dan Z.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

That is indeed a STUNNING example of an early HG, Dan! :)

George P.