VE-330 Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: VE-330 Question

Post by estott »

gramophone78 wrote:According to "Look For The Dog", there were 478 electric 330's made. These "humpback" models were not very poplar when new and not very popular now.
A very hard sell.

If you are going to get a humpback this is the one to get- the bow front and other curved surfaces give it greater elegance than usual.

SignatureSeriesOwner
Victor II
Personal Text: VV-XVII, VV-XVI, VV-107, VV-IX's....

Post by SignatureSeriesOwner »

I don't care what the majority says, I like the VV-330. If you have the room, it's a great addition. I had a chance to buy one for $350 once, but it was a couple hours drive, and I just never did it. Kind of regretted it.

I do need to either build an addition on to the house for more of these things, or kick someone out and open up a room.
Saving America's Acoustical History, One Phonograph At A Time...

tnodo
Victor Jr

Post by tnodo »

I do have others. I meant to say humpback console. Turns out its a VE-330 and serial number 549. If I'm reading the Victor-Victrola.com page correctly makes it the earliest example in their database. That and a quarter......

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

I also have a VV-330, serial number 3008, even taking up space, even if I can not put other machines on it, I find this model beautiful with all the curves and details, it's great to vary from vertical models.
Attachments
vv 330.JPG

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

I used to own the slightly less ornate VV-300 humpback. Mine was in a beautiful walnut. Over time, my interests leaned towards Edison machines until I no longer had any Victrola's. I paid $500 for my VV-300 in about the year 2004, and sold it on Ebay a few years later for about $700! They don't sell for those prices now! This weekend at the show, I just acquired another Victrola, the Orthophonic Victrola 8-9 because I like the sound it makes with late 20s electric records. But I agree with others above in liking some console machines. I own two Edison consoles and just bought an Edison Italian Umbrian (rare machine). But I agree that the reality in the hobby is these models are hard to sell.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

It's nice to have a machine you can't put anything on top of. That means you'll be able to play it.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

bigshot wrote:
phonogal wrote:I think the reason most collector's shy away from consoles is they take up too much room. And with these humpback models, you can't even use the top to display small machines.
I never understood why people would put a phonograph on top of a phonograph. I like to be able to play my machines and having one buried under another would mean having to find a place to put the one on top every time I wanted to play the one on the bottom.
You either have tons of space or not many phonographs or you'd know why.

Andreas Gramophones
Victor I

Post by Andreas Gramophones »

JerryVan wrote:
bigshot wrote:
phonogal wrote:I think the reason most collector's shy away from consoles is they take up too much room. And with these humpback models, you can't even use the top to display small machines.
I never understood why people would put a phonograph on top of a phonograph. I like to be able to play my machines and having one buried under another would mean having to find a place to put the one on top every time I wanted to play the one on the bottom.
You either have tons of space or not many phonographs or you'd know why.
At the time I bought my VV-330 I had "tons" of space, as evidenced by the attached photo, now this does not happen anymore, I have to do magic to fit everything, I'm thinking of occupying another room in the house for my machines but neither For my head to get rid of her and others.
Maybe an orthphonica, VV 8-12 that despite having an excellent sound I do not have as much attachment for it.
Attachments
vv 330 (1).jpg
vv 330 (1).jpg (58.93 KiB) Viewed 1092 times