American Girl: Rebecca's (mimetic) Phonograph Set

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Lah Ca
Victor III

American Girl: Rebecca's (mimetic) Phonograph Set

Post by Lah Ca »

This strange item popped up on CL here. It is a mimetic toy phonograph from the American Girl line of toys. It sold very quickly.
2023-12-18 08.07.38 vancouver.craigslist.org 8640a30ffd03.jpg
https://vancouver.craigslist.org/van/ta ... 03879.html

The toy was introduced about 14 years ago. It was discontinued in 2017.

This line of toys seems to be aimed at elementary school girls, pre-teens, and perhaps also at toy collectors.

I am not saying there is any connection at all, but at the last CAPS meeting, which I attended by Zoom, there was a young woman up examining the contents of the auction table. I have not been a CAPS member all that long, but I can assure you that her presence was an anomaly, albeit a welcome one. She would be about the right age to have owned one of these toys. It is all probably just coincidental.

https://americangirl.fandom.com/wiki/Re ... ograph_Set

A youngin enthusiastically demonstrates her toy gramophone:

https://youtu.be/m18m4BvLWtM?si=vUUcHDoMQ5S63CVI

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: American Girl: Rebecca's (mimetic) Phonograph Set

Post by JerryVan »

Okay. I'll admit it. You got me to look up the definition of "mimetic". :oops:

Lah Ca
Victor III

Post by Lah Ca »

JerryVan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:44 am Okay. I'll admit it. You got me to look up the definition of "mimetic". :oops:
Sorry. It is not a common word outside of specific fields, sciences, art history, architecture, etc.

But I suppose it is the specific word to use here.

The toy is not a toy phonograph in that it is not functionally or structurally a phonograph at all. Even the disks do not seem to be playable as disks, per se, but are probably keys for switches that access tunes from a library in some digital memory (I would guess). All phonograph-like aspects of the toy are cosmetic mimicry.

drh
Victor IV
Personal Text: A Pathé record...with care will live to speak to your grandchildren when they are as old as you are

Post by drh »

Lah Ca wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:32 am ...
This line of toys seems to be aimed at elementary school girls, pre-teens, and perhaps also at toy collectors.
Yes, American Girl is an "upscale" line of dolls and accessories, and I'd say they are aimed primarily at what here are popularly called "tween-aged" girls. Mattel produces them as a larger, more expensive alternative to the ubiquitous Barbie dolls. Each one is released with some fanfare, an individual name, a back story, often or usually an associated story book, maybe a pet of some sort, and on and on. In other words, Mattel might release a "Horse Lover Barbie." In the American Girl line, it would be "This is Jasmine. Her hobby is riding horses. Oh, look, here's her horse, Goldenrod. And here's a book about her adventures trying to overcome various obstacles to win the National Equestrian Championship. And aren't those mice from the stable just darling? Her best friend is Clarabelle (released last year and still available from your friendly, neighborhood Mattel dealer)." Etc., etc., etc.

At least, that's what I remember from when my daughter went through the target age some years back. I didn't know the line had included a toy gramophone--thanks for posting that!

[edit] I found one of the American Girl books that still lurks on our bookshelves from when my daughter went through that age. Photos below; this one is pretty typical of the breed.
Attachments
front cover.JPG
rear cover.JPG

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Lah Ca wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:26 am
JerryVan wrote: Mon Dec 18, 2023 11:44 am Okay. I'll admit it. You got me to look up the definition of "mimetic". :oops:
Sorry. It is not a common word outside of specific fields, sciences, art history, architecture, etc.
Don't be sorry. I recognized the word but had forgotten its meaning. It was time for a refresher!