Tallulah Bankhead Ruins a Record

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

Tallulah Bankhead Ruins a Record

Post by OrthoFan »

...or should I have said, "Tallulah slaps a phonograph!"

WARNING: THE FOLLOWING MOVIE CLIP CONTAINS EXTREMELY DISTURBING MATERIAL AND IS NOT FOR THE FAINTHEARTED.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_rW3vdQNBM[/youtube]

---------------------------

Now, in real life, that sound box would have been toast. Seems I've seen several movies where people rrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiippppppp the tonearm off the record, and somehow, the phonograph survives. I remember once shattering the center of a diaphragm just from turning the @#$% thumbscrew too tight!

MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Tallulah Bankhead Ruins a Record

Post by MordEth »

Ortho_Fan wrote:Now, in real life, that sound box would have been toast. Seems I've seen several movies where people rrrrrrrrrriiiiiiiippppppp the tonearm off the record, and somehow, the phonograph survives.
I don’t think that Hollywood has generally felt (until perhaps recently) that they could sell real life to anyone. :D

There’s a lot more magic to self-winding phonographs that are slap-proof. :lol:

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

When I lived in Virginia, I knew a fellow who lived across the state line in Tennessee. He had a number of machines -- I guess you could call him a collector, but he wasn't knowledgeable at all about the hobby. More of an accumulator, I'd say. Whenever he would play a disc machine, the needle would already be in the groove of the record and he'd start the turntable by giving it a hard push with his fingers and, for example, the voice of Hank Williams would blastingly over-drive out of the horn of a cheap front-mount Columbia. I could just picture the stress on the governor and the wear on the gears as the music wow-ed to a start! I used to pray that he would never find anything really good! Not that I would . . . just that he wouldn't! LOL! Nice guy, but . . . a machine abuser. Someone call PETTM, please!

John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Interesting that at about 3 minutes into the clip, the record starts playing fine, then the clicking sound of a cracked record starts.

Anyone ever see a record that was cracked from the inside that did not make it out to the edge of the record?

Very disturbing!
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Folks,

OUCH! There oughta be a law! Someone call a cop or sumthin'! ;)

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!