Anyone ever heard of the Pandeon phonograph?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
john9ten
Victor II

Anyone ever heard of the Pandeon phonograph?

Post by john9ten »

The Pandeon Phonograph Company was i Denver, CO and I am trying to assist someone in getting any info on it. Here is the logo. Any leads are appreciated.

Thanks!

John Robles
Attachments
pandeon.jpg

OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Anyone ever heard of the Pandeon phonograph?

Post by OrthoFan »

That's one of the hundreds of off-brand models produced starting in the late teens, when the patents held by the major manufacturers -- Victor, Columbia, Edison -- began to expire.

SEE: http://www.antiquephono.org/brand-talki ... j-wakeman/

As with many of these Victrola knock-offs, very little information is available, because of their relatively short production life. Many, if not most were assembled from cabinets and parts manufactured by third party suppliers.

From what I can see, the Pandeon Phonograph dates from around 1920, and was sold through smaller department stores or other outlets -- "The Pandeon phonograph is handled by Cossell's, 1518 California street, Denver. Thirty-seven firms in the state include the phonograph in its line" -- From: http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

If you could post a few more photos, that might help.

OF

john9ten
Victor II

Post by john9ten »

Thanks for that information. The machine is not a machine - by that I mean all the guy has is the cut off record cabinet. THe machine is gone, and the part with the decal, which would have been the lid, has been made int the top of the record cabinet. The door knobs are square and sort of Craftsman style, which would bear out the dates you mention.

John

Johnnyok
Victor Jr
Personal Text: From Florida, in Denver

Post by Johnnyok »

IMG_20171207_163733.jpg
I have one. The guy I bought it from said his family bought it in 1919 at Coswell's?? In Denver. I have some pics. I would love to know more about it.
Attachments
IMG_20171207_164106.jpg
IMG_20171207_164035.jpg
IMG_20171207_163552.jpg
IMG_20171207_163755.jpg
IMG_20171207_163820.jpg
IMG_20171207_163525.jpg
IMG_20171207_164010.jpg
IMG_20171207_164126.jpg
Last edited by Johnnyok on Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Still cool. The off brands are crawling out of the woodwork! One day I guess I'll own a really neat offbrand...

Johnnyok
Victor Jr

Post by Johnnyok »

Does anyone have any information on my Pandeon? Have a look at the pics. It works perfectly. It came with many records. I did buy new needles and have replaced the needle after every song I play. It's a pretty cabinet in great condition and it plays loud. Does it have value and is there a market for this?
I'm not really a collector, but it's the third antique phonograph I have bought.
Thanks in advance for any information, John

VanEpsFan1914
Victor VI
Personal Text: I've got both kinds of music--classical & rag-time.

Post by VanEpsFan1914 »

Well, all phonographs have some value...in 2007 a Pandeon sold at auction. The sale was both online & on-site, and it sold for $50 to an on-site bidder.

As far as working perfectly, I suggest having the soundbox rebuilt if you haven't done so already. Also, I like to clean out the grease in the tonearm joints, then add a good quality red axle grease. Seals off leaks and stops it from squawking on high notes.

1919 sounds right for the date. There is usually little to no information about off-brands--a pity, because they are usually so unique. Yours has a great cabinet and I like how the grill is divided into doors...very fetching design, and if it plays loud and looks great who cares? A good off brand could sell for up to $150 or $175 if perfect and fully restored. I'd say, just enjoy it and be glad to have a beautiful, functional, and very rare machine.

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

You may want to try the Genealogy Dept. at the library where the machine was manufactured. I restored a Humanola upright a while back, small but the cabinet has nice curvy lines. The Humanola was produced in Myersdale, Pa, during the teens, I sent an Email to the Myersdale Library requesting any info they had on the Humanola Company, for a very modest donation to the Library they sent me all the info they had on the company. Interesting stuff, in fact Myersdale has a Humanola on display at the local train station..... :D Bill K

Johnnyok
Victor Jr

Post by Johnnyok »

Thank you both. I appreciate the help.