Autographed Records...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

Autographed Records...

Post by phonophan79 »

I came across this auction on the 'Bay for an autographed Diamond Disc.

I think it's the first autographed coarse-groove record (ie: non-45 or 33 ⅓ LP) I've come across.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0410560659

...and it only sold for it's opening bid of $19.99.

Actually, now that I think about it, I recall OrthoSean may have shown me an autographed Victrola record he had once.

...still, I can't imagine autographed DD's and 78's are all that common? ...and as time passes, do they lose their value as the general public sadly forgets the artist?

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Re: Autographed Records...

Post by bbphonoguy »

I bought a couple of autographed Victor red seals, both from the same antique store, as part of a stack. I never realized they were autographs because I didn't look at them that closely, I just figured it was some scribbling on the label.

One of the records was autographed by Ernestine Schumann-Heink. I forget now who autographed the other one.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Can't say I've ever seen autigraphed DDs, but autographed 78s in general aren't very rare. You did see an autographed Victor at my house. I have lots of them and usually grab them just for the "cool" factor. IRCC and HRS always had the singer autograph their labels if they were a) still living and b) willing to do so, apparently most of them were. Once I have a scanner, I'll get David scans for the label forum. There is a two-fold appeal to some autographed discs, Caruso's signature for example is very collectible. Others, like Sophie Tucker and Geraldine Farrar signed everything and don't really add value to the record.

Here's Sigrid Arnoldson's signed Victor pressed IRCC, forgot I had this pic here at work!

Sean
Attachments
IMG_3247.JPG

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Victor issued a special white label pressing of the winners of their 1928 modern composition contest with signatures of Thomas Griselle and Rube Bloom
A bit off topic but many ebay sellers point out the signatures found in the dead wax of Columbia pressings, primarily the Symphony Series- they don't realize that they're on every copy.

blacknwhite
Victor Jr

Post by blacknwhite »

phonophan79 wrote:...still, I can't imagine autographed DD's and 78's are all that common?
When I was a kid, Cab Calloway gave one of his last performances before his fatal stroke later that year in the city where I lived. I brought one of his Perfect recordings from c. 1930 (very carefully) & got him to autograph it. He looked so suprised: "Where'd you find this? Where'd you find this?!" Autographed it "Hi-De-Ho, Cab Calloway". One of my treasures.

Also, got a Johnny Otis (early-1950's R&B/blues band) autograph on one of his early-50s Duke 78's when he played here - "To Bobby, Johnny Otis" - that one's on the wall also.

Took a Little Richard 78 to one of his concerts, but couldn't get close enough for an autograph. He "ripped it up" onstage, tho.

- Bob

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

Here is a great autographed 78
willie_brown_mo_future_blues.jpg
willie_brown_mo_future_blues.jpg (20.12 KiB) Viewed 1677 times
Willie Browns Future Blues/M & O Blues, Willie Brown only recorded 4 sides in his carrier.
Allthough he travel & played extensively thru the south, mostly with Charley Patton & Son House.

Future Blues/M & O Blues is the only one that has surfaced & only a few copies are known to exist of it.
Not only is it two superb, ultra rare Delta-blues songs, it's also signed by his long time friend Son House, in London at one of the many "blues-revival" festival that took place in the late 60s.

It last sold in 2007 for over £5000.
No, unfortunately I was not the one buying it :(
Searching for The Sound

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

I wonder if that price was reached purely because it is a rare record?

B.B.B
Victor I

Post by B.B.B »

gramophoneshane wrote:I wonder if that price was reached purely because it is a rare record?
Rarity is probably the biggest factor here, but this rather common LP went for US $ 418.
son_house_bukka_white_signed_LP.jpg
son_house_bukka_white_signed_LP.jpg (84.07 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
Methinks mostly for the fact that it is signed by Son House, a good friend & travelling-buddy to Willie & also one of the first & most prominent figures in the early days of blues.
The fact that he couldn't read nor write & only learned how to "draw" his name maybe only adds to it.

Its also signed by Bukka White, another early Mississippi bluesman, but probably best know for that he gave a guitar to his 9-year old cousin, Riley King, & taught him how to play it.
Riley later changed his name to B.B & moved to Chicago....
Searching for The Sound