Is This Normal?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Is This Normal?

Post by SonnyPhono »

I came across this Edison Home and noticed that the reproducer was green. Has this been painted or were there some that came like this?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Re: Is This Normal?

Post by phonogfp »

When the Model H Reproducers were introduced in 1908 to play wax Amberol records, their tube plates were dyed green to aid owners in distinguishing between the 2-minute C and the 4-minute H. Frankly, I'm not sure how long this practice continued. Sometimes you'll encounter an H with just a subtle green tinge, as the color has faded over the years, which raises the question of how many have lost their green dye.

The "Home" you pictured has a 4-minute attachment, so the H is perfectly legitimate for it.

George P.

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

Great information! Thank you very much George!

So does this add any value at all? Also, you mentioned that this has a four minute attachment, but this has the capability of playing two minute cylinders as well provided I use the proper reproducer?

Thanks again for the information!

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Usually there's a lever at the left end of the feedscrew to switch between 2 and 4 minute gearing- I don't see that on this one. Could this be one of the ones which were dealer converted and locked into 4 minute speed?

Lenoirstreetguy
Victor IV

Post by Lenoirstreetguy »

Methinks that machine has been refinished and the wrong decal placed on it. I think that case should just have the " Edison" logo. No??

SonnyPhono
Victor III

Post by SonnyPhono »

I don't know. I don't think that it looks like it has been refinished as the decal has some bad places and the cabinet is pretty rough in some spots. I could be wrong though. Here is another picture of it if it will help.

bostonmike1
Victor I

Post by bostonmike1 »

estott wrote:Usually there's a lever at the left end of the feedscrew to switch between 2 and 4 minute gearing- I don't see that on this one. Could this be one of the ones which were dealer converted and locked into 4 minute speed?
Maybe George can shed some light on this because I am confused along with the decal shown also. Michael

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

Later Edisons with the 2 and 4 minute gearing did not have the dial and stamped "2" and "4" on the dial base for changing between gears. The user simply grabbed the larger pulley and gave it a tug or pushed it in to make the change in gearing. This was almost certainly to reduce production costs. Doug

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Lenoirstreetguy wrote:Methinks that machine has been refinished and the wrong decal placed on it. I think that case should just have the " Edison" logo. No??
I think you are right! The moulding around the base is not that of the model A or even a B Home.
I think the Model C was the cross-over model (?) but by the release of the Model D they all had the deeper moulding.
The horn is also that of a Standard, the Home having an 11 panel horn.

The 4 min Model H reproducer was indeed dyed green to match the 4 min Amberol boxes, and the 4 min recorder was dyed yellow, which also matched the 4 min blanks box.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The machine is a Model C or higher; note the absence of an endgate. The banner decal was not used beyond the early Model B, so it's not correct, but that could be fixed. The machine should be capable of playing both 2 & 4 minute cylinders with the proper reproducers. The Hawthorne & Sheble crane is a nice bonus if it's complete, but its base looks suspect, and the upper rod is either from a different crane or home-made.

When considering machines such as this one - - machines which have been "restored," be sure to carefully check the motor, feedscrew, and reproducer to be sure that Mister Fixit didn't inflict irreparable damage. The hardest part of restorations is fixing other people's mistakes!

George P.