Gem Horn Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Gem Horn Question

Post by SonnyPhono »

Just a quick question about a Gem I picked up. It has the paneled Gem horn, but no crane. I have been looking for some examples of Gems online and can't find many with the paneled horn. Is this a tough horn to come across? I didn't pay too much for this phonograph as I don't know much about the Gems. I offered a low price and it was accepted. But should this horn and setup have a crane? Does this horn help the value? What is the general value of an original Gem with this horn? I'm definitely keeping it, but am curious if I was on the receiving end of a good deal with this one. Thanks for all the help!

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Gem Horn Question

Post by gramophoneshane »

I dont think the 8 panel horns are particularly hard to come by. They were an upgrade from the 10" cone, and it seems that about half of the A, B & C Gems that turn up have them. They were then standard issue with the maroon Model D. The same horn was also supplied with the Fireside model.
Yours appears to be original to the machine, as later horns screwed together/apart, separating the cone & flare.
The larger horn delivers better sound quality than the tiny 10" cone horn, which makes it more desirable amongst collectors, but I'm not sure what the difference in price is between the two. I wouldn't expect it to be very much??
It should have a one piece crane that sits in the hole in the casting, at the front of the mandrel gears.
Probably the best way to determine value would be to keep an eye on ebay & see what the same machine with 8 panel horn are fetching these days.
Matt Brown has a Model B on his website that he sold on Ebay a couple years ago for $850, but it was in exceptional condition & included the 10" & 8 panel horns.
Of course the market isn't what it used to be either, so I think you could probably halve that price these days.

I dont suppose you could tell me the dimensions of the wooden base :)
I bought a beat up Model B a week or so ago, which was minus the lid & base. I'd like to make a new base of the right size for now, until a base & lid turn up on Ebay.
I actually made a base yesterday & finished it last night, but I dont mind making another of the correct size :)

SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

Post by SonnyPhono »

Thank you very much for the information! It is a pretty clean machine, although I will be completely cleaning and re-greasing the motor as well as searching for a proper crane. If anyone has one or knows where I could find one please let me know. :D

Gramophonshane, I just measured the bottom and it was 10" wide by 7-¾" deep. I hope this helps! Thanks again!

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

I believe APSCO sells them.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

SonnyPhono wrote:Thank you very much for the information! It is a pretty clean machine, although I will be completely cleaning and re-greasing the motor as well as searching for a proper crane. If anyone has one or knows where I could find one please let me know. :D

Gramophoneshane, I just measured the bottom and it was 10" wide by 7-¾" deep. I hope this helps! Thanks again!
Thank you Sonny, that's exactly what I needed :)

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Sonny if you want to see what it should look like with the proper crane, go to my website. http://www.bojo.cz/phonograph/edison/pa ... dited.html

This pic is a red one but the crane is the same regardess.

Regards,

Bruce

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

APSCO actually list 2 sizes for a 3/16" & ¼" hole.
Is only the end reduced on the ¼" or is the entire crane this diameter, or is one for a Gem & the other a Fireside??
Wyatt's also sell them ($8 cheaper) but doesn't state the diameter.

I think if this Gem was mine, I'd get a repro crane for now, but still look for an original eventually, seeing as the rest of the machine is in good original condition.
Last edited by gramophoneshane on Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

gramophoneshane wrote:APSCO actually list 2 sizes for a 3/16" & ¼" hole.
Is only the end reduced on the 3/16" or is the entire crane this diameter, or is one for a Gem & the other a Fireside??
Wyatt's also sell them ($8 cheaper) but doesn't state the diameter.
Wow I did not know there was a difference. I've had 3 or 4 original GEM/Fireside cranes and never noticed any compatibility problems due to size of hole. :monkey:

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

I sold a very nice Gem A with banner transfer and the morning glory horn at CAPS for $500. It's easy to make your own crane. I would suggest a visit to your local welding supply business for a stainless steel rod the exact size for your Gem B and bend it as needed. Next, cut the end as needed and attach a short length of chain. Jerry Blais