GOTHIC style Columbia for sale on eBAY

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
maginter
Victor II

Re: GOTHIC style Columbia for sale on eBAY

Post by maginter »

Silvertone wrote:Technically, this is not a Columbia although it looks like it (now) has the Columbia tone arm. The Orsenigo decal shows that it was made after Columbia cancelled its contract for cabinets in 1921. Orsenigo made the cabinets for Columbia's period phonographs, and when the contract was cancelled, it sold the cabinets under its own name using generic motors and tone arms. The company continued making these cabinets for several years and made office furniture for decades after.
Actually, you are partially correct. The Columbia Phonograph Company went bankrupt and as some of the financial recovery Orsenigo took back the cabinets and the necessary Columbia parts to complete and sell the Phonographs. Columbia used Jobbers to build their cabinets unlike Victor. Orsenigo did this with several of the various models that they made for Columbia.

As it turns out, this is the machine that I owned and sold to a nice gentleman in New Hampshire. It really is a neat machine. I have been and always will be a BIG fan of the Columbia Period models. He also bought a Columbia Japanese Queen Anne (P-8) from me at the same time. So maybe he will be selling that one as well. He also has the Columbia Colonial that he bough from me. That is a neat machine as well.
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Bid history: 15 bids
Winning bid: US $5,475.00

Anyone we know? ;)

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

phonophan79 wrote:Bid history: 15 bids
Winning bid: US $5,475.00

Anyone we know? ;)
I don't know, but that has got to be a world record for the Charles II. He is probably going to be a little upset when he finds out that there are several reproduction parts on the Charles II The see guy bought the Columbia Colonial that was for sale by the same seller.

Mark
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla