Edison Diamond Disc Reproducer diaphragm cord repair

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Re: Edison Diamond Disc Reproducer diaphragm cord repair

Post by barnettrp21122 »

I'm glad you were able to use the forum for your fixes!
I remember my first Diamond Disc link repair using carpet thread!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

Fibber2
Victor Jr

Post by Fibber2 »

Well, it turns out I was mildly premature in my victory dance yesterday. When I tried a record with slightly more warpage, the sound output would go digital on me (great, with dropouts per rotation). It turned out that at the high spots on the disk, the needle bar would reach it's max and bottom out, allowing the floss to go slack.

I slipped the loop off the needlebar hook, twisted it a few times and put it back in place. Twisting the loop consumed a millimeter or so, enough to handle more problematic records. Definitely high tech!

Appreciate the encouragement!

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

In my testing I found that floss did have good sound as so many were saying about 10 years back. However I found that over time the floss stretched causing the stylus bar to become un-level.

I would use caution playing warped selections that possibly cause a stylus to cut into the records. That isn't good for the stylus or the record. If I find that happening now I toss the record rather than take a chance on expensive stylus. The button and upholstery thread seems to have the best chance at survival and so far I haven't found anything that produces better sound.

I haven't read this thread for a long time, thanks to those who have commented so positively about the True Tone Sound.

Larry

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

I've made repairs to broken Diaphragm cords using just plain needle thread and tying the two broken ends together and then lightly covering the repair in epoxy. It works excellent, great sound and it always works. You need a steady hand to tie the thread.. (I usually do it two or three times for insurance of good sound).
Try it sometime on your next broken Diaphragm cord.

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer