Brunswick Phonograph Database Project

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
BiliBug
Victor Jr

Brunswick Phonograph Database Project

Post by BiliBug »

I have started a project to compile data on early Brunswick phonographs, in an effort to try to determine a pattern that can be used to date our various machines based on serial number and other distinctive features. So far I have about 40 machines logged, mostly from the "Featured Phonographs" section of this board, as well as machines on eBay and other internet sites. My interest is mostly in the pre-electric/wind-up machines, but would be willing to gather information for all machines.

As many Brunswick owners are aware, the official production records for our machines were reportedly destroyed as the division was sold off to various companies.

If you would like to participate, please send me the following information about your Brunswick Phonograph by direct message on this board:

Official Model/Style Code (117, Cortez, etc.)
Type of phonograph (Console/credenza, table-top, portable, upright "Floor Model")
Serial Number
Lot number (4 digit, usually stamped into the cabinet by the horn)
Finish (Golden Oak, Mahogany, etc.)
Type of Reproducer (Single head Ultona, Double head Ultona, etc.)
Horn shape (Oval/Rectangular)
Motorboard material and features (wood, metal, pinstripes)
Motor type (Type B, Type 3, number of springs, etc.)
Finish/material of hardware (gold plated, nickel plated, pot metal, brass)
Type and color of medallion (muse with lyre, Miss Brunswick, Brunswick Banner, nails or no nails)
Any known documented date (packing slip, etc.)

If you only know some of the information, that is fine. I will work with it the best I can. I will probably collect, but not publish owner information to respect privacy. Any other comments about your machine, including unique features, is also welcome.

Thanks.
-Bil G
Last edited by BiliBug on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:32 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brunswick Model 120, Victor Victrola VV-IV (Rev E), Victor Victrola VV-XIV (Rev B), Edison Standard A and B (2)

emerson
Victor III

Re: Please submit your Brunswick phonograph data

Post by emerson »

Hello Bill, If you go to search and type in Brunswick upright---then type in Emerson as author, you'll see my machine--- in original condition very gaudy design. Sorry the only info. I can supply is---upright, mahogany, double head Ultona, square horn, wood motor board, gold finish, and the swivel lamp in the record storage compartment with the on/off push button by the turn table.

phonogal
Victor IV
Personal Text: Life's Short. Be Happy!

Post by phonogal »

Hi Bil, I believe you have mine as they are listed in the featured phonograph section. If you need anything further, I'd be glad to help. Thanks for taking on this project and I look forward to hearing what you discover.

BiliBug
Victor Jr

Post by BiliBug »

Thanks to the both of you!
Brunswick Model 120, Victor Victrola VV-IV (Rev E), Victor Victrola VV-XIV (Rev B), Edison Standard A and B (2)

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: Attn Brunswick Phonograph owners -Please submit machine

Post by edisonplayer »

I'll be getting an oak Brunswick Model 117 a week from Thursday.I'll give you the data on mine.edisonplayer

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Re: Brunswick Phonograph Database Project

Post by edisonplayer »

Here's the data on my Brunswick:Model 117.Golden oak.Double sided Ultona.Upright style oak wood motorboard,Horn;oval Serial number;SN;188126.Last patent date;June 4,1918.edisonplayer

BiliBug
Victor Jr

Post by BiliBug »

edisonplayer wrote:Here's the data on my Brunswick:Model 117.Golden oak.Double sided Ultona.Upright style oak wood motorboard,Horn;oval Serial number;SN;188126.Last patent date;June 4,1918.edisonplayer
Thanks!

Judging from your serial number, I'm assuming that the medallion is the one with the muse and harp/lyre, and you can see the nails fastening it?

-B

edisonplayer
Victor IV

Post by edisonplayer »

There are two nails holding the medallion.It's the harp and lyre version,with a woman playing the lyre.edisonplayer

BiliBug
Victor Jr

Post by BiliBug »

edisonplayer wrote:There are two nails holding the medallion.It's the harp and lyre version,with a woman playing the lyre.edisonplayer
Thanks. Patterns of predictability are indeed emerging.

Based on your serial number, I'm guessing that the machine was built early 1920.

-B

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

Two Brunswick models here.

Brunswick Model RO 293016 console, Walnut finish, oval horn, Brunswick type "E" (2 spring) motor, last patent date on motorboard December 12, 1922. one sided Ultona reproducer.

Brunswick Model 110 430749 upright, golden oak finish, oval horn, Brunswick No. 3 (2 spring) motor, no patent date label on motorboard. one sided Ultona reproducer.

If you will look at the medallions, one is hard to see but I believe to be the lyre version, the other must be the girl looking down into the phonograph, I assume that's what you're calling the Brunswick girl? Not sure if I'm seeing nails on either of these I think there are bumps on both that would be nails.

Would love to have an idea of the dates on these two machines, if this is enough information.

Thanks!
Attachments
ultona_nn.jpg