Diamond Disc oiling tubes

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Diamond Disc oiling tubes

Post by Brad »

I am in the process of restoring a C150 DD (I just posted a related item in the technical tips forum) and have a question about the oiling tubes.

I want to clean them out and am wondering how to do it. Should they be open all the way through or do they have something at the business end that allow oil to seep slowly?

Any suggestions on how to tackle: Ream out with a wire, pour naptha in until they open, other ideas?

TIA
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Diamond Disc oiling tubes

Post by gramophoneshane »

They should have little felt wicks at the bearing end of the tubes. I normally push a small wire down them, but while they are attached to the machine so the wicks cant be pushed out. I also fill the cups with oil & keep pushing the wire down the tubes (jiggling it up & down) so as to remove air bubbles in the line & to fill the tubes completely with oil. You have to do this MANY times though before they are filled. Once that's done the first time around, I then just fill the cups every few months or so.

Neophone
Victor III

Re: Diamond Disc oiling tubes

Post by Neophone »

Shane,

Thanks-you beat me to it. I remember some had ended up reaming the wicks right out of the oiling tubes-I don't want to see any one else make that mistake!

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!