Best sounding Victor?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Henry
Victor V

Re: Best sounding Victor?

Post by Henry »

larryh wrote:Its been years since I owned an acoustic period Victor. But as I recall the issues occurred mostly with voices such as Caruso where loud passages would cause a vibration that was unpleasant. As I recall I rebuilt the reproducers my self, perhaps there was something I missed in those days about proper adjustments that could have caused it.
I had a similar experience with Caruso's rendition of "Celeste Aida" (Vic Red Seal 88127) on my XI. Before I rebuilt the Exhibition sound box, the sound was tinny and blasting in the climaxes, but after rebuild and adjustment it's like I imagine he would sound were he actually in the room with me---which, of course, in a way he is---full vocal dynamic range from soft to extremely powerful, and clean instrumentals (especially the brass fanfares!)

In a rebuild, I found that the most important things are (1)soft, pliable gaskets, (2)compliant diaphragm (I was able to re-use the original mica), (3)proper adjustment of the needle bar (*just barely* touching the diaphragm), and (4)integrity of the beeswax seal. Of course the back gasket will need replacing and sealing air-tight against the sound box back, with no metal-to-metal contact at any point between gasket liner and sound box. With attention to these essentials, "your results should astonish the most critical," just as it says in the instruction book!

MTPhono
Victor III

Re: Best sounding Victor?

Post by MTPhono »

bbphonoguy wrote:
Auxetophile wrote:What about the Auxetophone? It's certainly loud and clear!
According to popular belief, if someone really wants to find an Auxetophone, all you have to do is set a friend of a friend loose in the countryside. :P
I know it's hard to believe but that was EXACTLY how I ended up with one. And it DID come from Oregon. Amazing but true.....and it does sound very good.