Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Featured Phonograph #128 - Our Edison Home Model B

Post by fran604g »

Model: Home Model B
Serial # H218604
Year(s) Made: Introduced 1905 (This particular Home is reported to have left the factory floor around September, 1906)
Original Cost: $30.00 (Phonograph)
Case/Cabinet Size: Dark stained Oak? 18" Wide x 17" Deep x 12" Tall
Turntable/Mandrel: Standard
Reproducer/Sound-Box: Reproducer: Model C #494115; Recorder #257576
Motor: Typical Model B spring motor
Horn Dimensions: Hawthorne and Sheble red 10 panel Morning Glory horn with applied Iris decals/transfers
Reproduction Parts: None (except horn-to-reproducer tube)
Current Value: Priceless - to us.
Interesting Facts:

This Edison homey-Home Model B was previously owned by my wife Sharon's great grandparent's which was eventually passed down to their daughter (Sharon's grandmother), and her husband, and finally came to us in 1986 upon her death.

Other than the cabinet and horn, I believe all of the parts to be original to the Phonograph. It also includes a small oilcan, a Recorder, the operating instructions, and what appears to be the original rubber horn-to-reproducer connector -- which was mended with what looks like medical adhesive tape, long, long ago.

Until the writing of this short history today (December 31, 2016), I had always believed the cabinet was constructed by Sharon's grandfather, out of parts belonging to an old bureau from Sharon's great grandparent's farmhouse (he was a talented man, who made several pieces of furniture, worked as a metal worker, and even did many oil paintings -- many of which we proudly display in our home). We've always known that it came from the small "old farm" in Honeoye Falls, NY; the farm that Sharon's great grandparents bought after losing their larger, 1st farm in Warsaw, NY to the Great Depression in late 1929.

See photo of Sophie (Fischer) and August Balling, below.

However, after re-examining my photos from 2013 -- at which time I had dismantled the entire machine for cleaning -- I realized the initials "RA" are very visibly carved into the underside of the wooden "motor board" (for lack of a better term). I'm not sure why I didn't make the obvious connection then; I had noticed them before, but didn't understand what they meant: These are actually the initials of Sharon's grandmother's eldest (1st. born) BROTHER -- Ralph Alouisius (Balling); who died on July 22, 1943 at the age of 43, after a tragic accidental poisoning while applying cyanide gas during his fumigation of the Central Hotel in Lackawanna, NY. See article clip below (Newspaper article source: Old Fulton NY Post Cards By Tom Tryniski).

The remaining bureau eventually made its way to Sharon's grandparent's, as it had been a long time installation in their modest basement rec-room. It had been used to support the Phonograph, and to store the cylinder records. After it came to live with us here in late 1986, we used it for one thing or another for many years; everything from holding fish aquariums to supporting several iterations of my various modern audio systems. The bottom drawer remained filled with about half of the 100+ cylinders until 2013, at which time, I decided to clean, document, and tune up the phonograph. At this time, I did an inventory of the cylinders for titles, condition, etc.

We were unfortunately forced to dispose of the cabinet a couple of years ago, due from lack of space.

I hope everyone enjoys our story, and the photos.

Best,
Fran
Sophie Fischer-Balling and August Balling at Warsaw NY Farm.jpg
Ralph Balling Poisoned July 22, 1943 Binghamton NY Press.jpg
Ralph Balling Poisoned July 22, 1943 Binghamton NY Press.jpg (102 KiB) Viewed 4741 times
DSC06290.JPG
DSC06291.JPG
DSC00885-1 800x536px.JPG
DSC01532-1 800x536px.JPG
DSC01955-1 800x536px.JPG
Last edited by fran604g on Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Re: Featured Machine #128 - Edison Home Model B w custom cab

Post by fran604g »

More images:
DSC00484-1 800x536px.JPG
DSC00483-1 800x535px.JPG
DSC00487-1 800x535px.JPG
DSC00488-1 800x535px.JPG
DSC00499-1 800x536px.JPG
DSC00530-1 800x536px.JPG
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

More images:
DSC00512-1 800x800px.JPG
DSC06275 1x1 800x800px.JPG
DSC06271-1 800x536px.JPG
DSC06280-1 800x800px.JPG
DSC06287-1 800x800px.JPG
DSC00581-1 800x536px.JPG
Attachments
DSC00582-1 800x536px.JPG

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Fran,

What an interesting story!

You know, if I had seen this phonograph in an antique shop five years ago, I've have thought, "Isn't that a shame? Somebody ruined it..." But when you have the knowledge of the machine's backstory (and you have taken some pains to get it), you have instead a one-of-a-kind phonograph with an almost-beating heart. I have no phonographs from my family.

(By the way, that lettering under the "motor board" looks like "J.H. Paul" to me...and he's a nephew of mine! Are your sure about all this history...? ;) )

Thanks for posting this, Fran.

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thanks for the kind words, George.

Though you may be correct to the writing, the carved-in initials at the top of the board are definitely "RA".

Happy New Year, my friend!

Fran

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Fran, I am so happy that you posted this. This is a special machine and a real family heirloom. It is a real treat to see such Yankee Ingenuity. I am curious as to what happened to the original case. I like this set up better.
Harvey Kravitz

Roaring20s
Victor V
Personal Text: Those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who could not hear the music. Nietzsche

Post by Roaring20s »

The back story often yields more than the object itself. Without the story we loose its life. Thanks. :rose:

James.

PS: I saw the Yes logo framed on the wall. I'm a fan of both the band and the artist. ;) :coffee:

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Phonofreak wrote:Fran, I am so happy that you posted this. This is a special machine and a real family heirloom. It is a real treat to see such Yankee Ingenuity. I am curious as to what happened to the original case. I like this set up better.
Harvey Kravitz
I've always wondered where the case went. We'll never know. There's so much we'll never know. I wish I could've spent more time with Grandma, she was pretty awesome.

Fran

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Roaring20s wrote:The back story often yields more than the object itself. Without the story we loose its life. Thanks. :rose:

James.

PS: I saw the Yes logo framed on the wall. I'm a fan of both the band and the artist. ;) :coffee:
Thank you, James. I'm a long-time fan of both the band and Roger, myself. :)

Happy New Year!

Best,
Fran

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

I forgot to ask, what kind of crane was used to support the horn?
Harvey Kravitz