The Talking Machine Forum — For All Antique Phonographs & Recordings

It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:25 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Amberola BV1?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:34 am 
Victor II
Hey guys, I had a gentleman call me the other day who had an Amberola he was looking to sell. On the phone, he said it was a model BV-1, which completely stumped me. He sent me pictures, and it looks very similar to an Amberola 50. Does anybody have any info on this model? I can't find it listed in "The Compleat Talking Machine" at all.

Post subject: Re: Amberola BV1?
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:30 am 
Victor II
Shane,

First thing is you need is to get a copy of George Frow's "Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion" if you want to look up variations of Edison machines.

The B-VI was introduced December 1913, used the Fireside upper works, cabinet was same as A-VI, upper works were painted black and filler plates added to take up the area in front and rear of the bedplate. Should have a "flat" style crank.

Chuck

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:47 am 
Victor V
The B-VI took the place of the A-VI. The A-VI has an odd-looking top mech with the governor mounted above the bed plate like it's predecessor the Amberola V. The A-VI is easy to spot because of the wide governor/gear cover casting. Unfortunately, the drive gear in the A-VI is aluminum and prone to rapid wear and subsequent noise. The B-VI is a redesign that scrapped the dedicated Amberola mech for the proven (and obsolete since external horn Phonographs were on the cusp of extinction) Fireside mech.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:41 pm 
Victor II
Thanks for the info. Is this a particularly rare machine at all? I'm trying to get a ballpark figure on what I should offer the guy... I'd like to be fair with him, but do to my unfamiliarity with these, I'm not sure where to start. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:49 pm 
Victor Jr
Shane wrote:
Thanks for the info. Is this a particularly rare machine at all? I'm trying to get a ballpark figure on what I should offer the guy... I'd like to be fair with him, but do to my unfamiliarity with these, I'm not sure where to start. Thanks.

Reiss' book gives the VI (all styles, A, B, C, D) two rarity stars (one means most common, two = turns up a lot), and prices it at $750 for a "clean complete, working machine with few reproduction parts."

Jeff

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 3:47 pm 
Victor II
Oh, this machine is in the Reiss book after all! I was looking for it under "B", versus "VI". Now I see it. Thanks!