Amberola BV1?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Shane
Victor II

Amberola BV1?

Post by Shane »

Hey guys, I had a gentleman call me the other day who had an Amberola he was looking to sell. On the phone, he said it was a model BV-1, which completely stumped me. He sent me pictures, and it looks very similar to an Amberola 50. Does anybody have any info on this model? I can't find it listed in "The Compleat Talking Machine" at all.

ChuckA
Victor III
Personal Text: Learn from the mistakes of others - You can't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Re: Amberola BV1?

Post by ChuckA »

Shane,

First thing is you need is to get a copy of George Frow's "Edison Cylinder Phonograph Companion" if you want to look up variations of Edison machines.

The B-VI was introduced December 1913, used the Fireside upper works, cabinet was same as A-VI, upper works were painted black and filler plates added to take up the area in front and rear of the bedplate. Should have a "flat" style crank.

Chuck

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

The B-VI took the place of the A-VI. The A-VI has an odd-looking top mech with the governor mounted above the bed plate like it's predecessor the Amberola V. The A-VI is easy to spot because of the wide governor/gear cover casting. Unfortunately, the drive gear in the A-VI is aluminum and prone to rapid wear and subsequent noise. The B-VI is a redesign that scrapped the dedicated Amberola mech for the proven (and obsolete since external horn Phonographs were on the cusp of extinction) Fireside mech.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

Thanks for the info. Is this a particularly rare machine at all? I'm trying to get a ballpark figure on what I should offer the guy... I'd like to be fair with him, but do to my unfamiliarity with these, I'm not sure where to start. Thanks.

Operafan
Victor Jr

Post by Operafan »

Shane wrote:Thanks for the info. Is this a particularly rare machine at all? I'm trying to get a ballpark figure on what I should offer the guy... I'd like to be fair with him, but do to my unfamiliarity with these, I'm not sure where to start. Thanks.
Reiss' book gives the VI (all styles, A, B, C, D) two rarity stars (one means most common, two = turns up a lot), and prices it at $750 for a "clean complete, working machine with few reproduction parts."

Jeff

Shane
Victor II

Post by Shane »

Oh, this machine is in the Reiss book after all! I was looking for it under "B", versus "VI". Now I see it. Thanks!