How do you store and display your collections?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
dutchman
Victor IV

Re: How do you store and display your collections?

Post by dutchman »

gramophone-georg wrote:I'm out!

Good one gramophone :lol:

bill k

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

dutchman wrote:
gramophone-georg wrote:I'm out!

Good one gramophone :lol:

bill k

I do have to say, that was pretty funny!

Mark
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

Yes,,, seriously this is just one of my spare bedrooms ( plus the phone ) :lol:
Attachments
16114730_10210665279261631_3856643495979204877_n.jpg
16143351_10210665279061626_6876778477370039481_n.jpg
15977286_10210665278861621_8852045103692376761_n.jpg

startgroove
Victor III

Post by startgroove »

Lori and Russie have this "L" shaped room, which was once the guest wing, to house our collection. It is temperature controlled.

Can you find the three jukeboxes?
Attachments
IMG_1176.JPG
IMG_1176.JPG (123.73 KiB) Viewed 1754 times
IMG_1174.JPG
IMG_1174.JPG (154.32 KiB) Viewed 1754 times

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

this is great. thank you for the replies and photos.

I'll post some of my own once I finally get more things organized.

I'm curious though whether there'd be any concerned over the use of wall-mounted shelves... a couple of the photos show one with several external horn machines on it... I'd be fearful over that sort of weight, no?

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

TinfoilPhono wrote:This is an interesting topic that has come up before. Here's a 23-page thread from 2010, and another from 2015. Lots of pictures to study and get inspiration from. Not to mention lots of drool-worthy phonographs. ;)

I had completely forgotten about those... thank you for the links... the earlier one brought back some great memories of my old apartment at the victor building and several machines sadly lost during the great downsize of 2010-12.

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

I built several wall mounted shelves - I always make sure I get the brackets screwed deeply into a solid beam - no way no how would I trust sheet rock mollys to anchor a shelf with 6-8 machines sitting on the shelf :shock:

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

I moved about 4 years ago and when I saw the built-in shelves in this room, my choice of new housing became clear.
room1.JPG
but I'm also a machine stacker.
room2.JPG

maginter
Victor II

Post by maginter »

brianu wrote:this is great. thank you for the replies and photos.

I'll post some of my own once I finally get more things organized.

I'm curious though whether there'd be any concerned over the use of wall-mounted shelves... a couple of the photos show one with several external horn machines on it... I'd be fearful over that sort of weight, no?
Brian -

I had the same concern, but it was more about the value of what was up there and not the weight. If you look at the picture of my shelf built out of ¾" thick red oak boards and it is actually built as a box. This does two things. You get the strength of a beam and you have the ability to slide it over a mounting feature. The mounting feature I used was a piece of maple 2" x 3" in cross section that fit snugly into the shelf opening and the length of the inside of the shelf opening. I anchored this into every stud over the length of the shelf making sure to start and stop on a stud. This allowed me to slide the shelf over the mounting feature and anchor it down through the top of the shelf and into the mounting feature. This is a similar principal that is used for the floating shelves that some decorators use. The scrolled brackets I made to give it some character and to keep the shelf from rotating down.

Overall this is probably one of the most over built shelves you will ever see, I could actually hang my 190 lb body from it without it yielding. However consider the value of the phonograph on the shelf and under the shelf, I had no issue justifying the effort. If you need additional information or help with the concept, feel free to ask.

Mark
"The present is theirs; the future, for which I really worked, is mine."
Nikola Tesla

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

We built a house about twenty five years ago and I needed space for my hobby. The living space is about 1850 sq. ft. and it cost about $20,000 to build a full basement. The basement has sheetrock and indoor/outdoor carpet. I bought some used 8' pallet racks. I had them cut in half and welded a piece of flat steel on the top half so that half could stand as well. I cut appropriate sized pieces of ¾" plywood for each section of the pallet racks and glued pieces of the same carpet as was used on the floor. The pallet racks were placed along the two longer walls of the phono area and rows of uprights and record cabinets with machines fill the center area. I've really enjoyed my basement but it's about full.

Moving things up into our living space is not an option and I'm OK with that arrangement. We have a great marriage and I value DeeDee's opinion when it comes to making a major purchase. She knows that she will not have to live with anything I buy. She's familiar with my collection and always steers me towards purchases that make my collection more interesting. It's a win win for us.

Jerry Blais