How do you store and display your collections?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
DGPros
Victor III
Personal Text: Gary

Re: How do you store and display your collections?

Post by DGPros »

I have a "GEM" of a fish tank. I don't think I will be leaving them there, due to the dampness, but at least for a little while they may sit, while I ponder wall shelving of my own. I hope to see more pictures since you guys have kicked started the thought process. I'm also working on my DD wall, which is still under construction. :coffee: and my lone Victrola (whoops, forgot about the little guy to the left) sitting by itself in the living room. Oh so much more real estate there. :D
Attachments
2016-12-04 12.26.30.jpg
2017-01-24 21.40.11.jpg
2017-01-22 21.16.36.jpg
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

Garret
Victor IV

Post by Garret »

I really wouldn't display Edison Gems on top of an aquarium. You really are asking for trouble. :shock:

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

Garret wrote:I really wouldn't display Edison Gems on top of an aquarium. You really are asking for trouble. :shock:

Yes, I agree, I was debating on having them just above the fish tank. ie: Rods (rope) coming down from ceiling into wooden shelf units. I'm still worried about the dampness factor in doing that though. I would like to get opinions on that idea :coffee:
Attachments
images.jpg
images.jpg (4.95 KiB) Viewed 1775 times
In short, is not liberty the freedom of every person to make full use of his faculties, so long as he does not harm other persons while doing so?
Frederic Bastiat

tictalk
Victor II

Post by tictalk »

I have been collecting phonographs 25 years or so, and have an appreciation for all phonographs common or rare, In the beginning I would buy whatever would come my way if the price was right. I was running out of room to display machines and as I toured fellow collectors machines you would see the same machines. I then made a conscious decision, even though my phonograph hobby was self supporting, meaning I could only afford to spend money on my hobby that was generated from my hobby, after all I was raising kids. I would only keep the truly unusual and rare machines you didn't see in every other collection out there, I sold a lot of machines I would love to have back, But back to the topic of How do you store and display your collection? it make it much easier when you only have 20 or so machines.

doublemike
Victor I

Post by doublemike »

My collection - Columbia BNW is displayed in another room.
Attachments
IMG_2674.JPG
Victor Monarch, Columbia BK, Columbia BNW, Zonophone model 3, HMV 130

DGPros
Victor III

Post by DGPros »

Rainy Sunday and the Giants stink, so I thought I would update an older thread. I made some "floating shelves" and get them off the fish tank. Since my bar and fish tank had river stone, I decided to stay in the same vein. It was a fun project and pretty happy with the results.
Attachments
2017-10-19 16.37.54.jpg
2017-10-27 21.34.54.jpg
2017-10-27 21.39.59.jpg
Frederic Bastiat

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

A+ from a geologist

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Most of my humble collection is in a spare bedroom where I can sit on the couch and play an instrument or listen to my phonographs. The last picture is my dresser in the bedroom with my little humpback Victor II. I have 3 more machines in the living room and 5 more in the breezeway. I try to display them all in a way that I can appreciate each of them, and play them too.

One of the shelves in the music room was made from an old and damaged sheet music stand and the other from a damaged table, (I cut the top in two and the legs were cut down for braces). Shelves are helpful, but talking machine size shelves are hard to find. I now see tables as potential shelves.
Attachments
MR5.jpg
MR2.jpg
MR1.jpg
MR3.jpg
MR4.jpg
MR6.jpg

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Not humble at all, George. Looks like some very nice examples, and I'm impressed with your collection of parlor guitars and ukes.

George P.

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

Simply put...just place something where there is a hole.
Attachments
D49F5DAD-0CC6-48D3-A991-F78FEF92DACC.jpeg
A01EA58F-C4C0-4C44-BA23-0765BC3BFD22.jpeg
4EE11F90-2CDC-453F-974D-AE84341B9E56.jpeg