How do you store and display your collections?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Re: How do you store and display your collections?

Post by Django »

Hailey wrote:Simply put...just place something where there is a hole.
What a great room! I hope that many more post photos of their displays here. Lots of creativity and nice machines too.

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

There is an amazing repository for member's collections in the thread, "Phonospace (or, "Where's Waldo?)" here: http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=3543

But, in the meantime -- a couple pictures of one of the rooms I clutter.

Best regards,
Fran
Wallpaper.JPG
DSC07320.JPG
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Having spent many pleasant afternoons in Fran's phono-den, I can attest that the pictures don't do it justice. :) For a guy who has been collecting only about 4 years, Fran has put together a very nice collection of machines whose condition overall is outstanding. A number of his phonographs are not even shown in these views. :)

George P.

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Thank you for the kind words, George. I have really enjoyed our "phono-chats", and I always look forward to the next one! :)

-Franeola
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

In late September our phonograph group (The Oregon Territory Antique Phonograph Society - OTAPS) had a meeting at my house. There are a lot of pictures of my collection in the house and in the garage. Might be overkill as there are a lot of pictures. :)

September OTAPS Meeting

Damfino59
Victor II

Post by Damfino59 »

Fran I like your setup in the second photo. I spie some nice vintage Hi-Fi gear. I recognize the Dual 1219/1229 & the AR3 speakers but what else is lurking in those cabinets. Some with tubes. I myself have a Dynaco system that needs to be put back into operation and do have several mono tube amplifiers & speakers in rotation with my vintage Lenco and Garrard record changers.

Also what are the large set of speakers?

Regards,
Glenn

fran604g
Victor VI

Post by fran604g »

Damfino59 wrote:Fran I like your setup in the second photo. I spie some nice vintage Hi-Fi gear. I recognize the Dual 1219/1229 & the AR3 speakers but what else is lurking in those cabinets. Some with tubes. I myself have a Dynaco system that needs to be put back into operation and do have several mono tube amplifiers & speakers in rotation with my vintage Lenco and Garrard record changers.

Also what are the large set of speakers?

Regards,
Glenn
Glenn,

Thanks!

Those are 1974ish Altec-Lansing model 17's. The drivers are 604-8G duplexes (100 dB SPL @ 1W/1M), and if you'll notice on the floor in front of each are custom Jeff Markwart crossovers I built using PIO motor-run capacitors (and other cool stuff).

My 2 main power amps are a TAD 60 (2-6550 Tung-Sol reissues for output tubes @ about 65W per channel) driving the AR3a's, and under the cabinet behind the chair is an SET amp with 1-6B4G output tube per channel -- cousin to the 2A3 -- @ about 2.5W per channel) driving the Altecs.

The 2 pairings play at about the same relative volumes. Both are fed by an Adcom GFP-710 preamp, that I used for many years with an Adcom GFA-555 to drive the Altecs. Once I got a taste of tubes, I never looked back.

The 555 now powers a beautiful pair of KLH model Sixes, and another beautiful pair of AR4x's in my backroom "workshop".

Hi, my name is Fran, and I'm an audioholic. :lol:
Last edited by fran604g on Tue Nov 07, 2017 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

fran604g wrote:
Those are 1974ish Altec-Lansing model 17s. The drivers are 604-8G duplexes (100 dB SPL @ 1W/1M), and if you'll notice on the floor in front of each are custom Jeff Markwart crossovers I built using PIO motor-run capacitors (and other cool stuff).

My 2 main power amps are a TAD 60 (2-6550 Tung-Sol reissues for output tubes @ about 65W per channel) driving the AR3a's, and under the cabinet behind the chair is an SET amp with 1-6B4G output tube per channel -- cousin to the 2A3 -- @ about 2.5W per channel) driving the Altecs.

The 2 pairings play at about the same relative volumes. Both are fed by an Adcom GFP-710 preamp, that I used for many years with an Adcom GFA-555 to drive the Altecs. Once I got a taste of tubes, I never looked back.

The 555 now powers a beautiful pair of KLH model Sixes, and another beautiful pair of AR4x's in my backroom "workshop".

Hi, my name is Fran, and I'm an audioholic. :lol:
And now I know how newcomers to antique phonographs feel when they discover this site! :)

George P.

travisgreyfox
Victor IV

Post by travisgreyfox »

We need to start another thread and call it the minors league thread because this one is filled with the pros. I cant compete!

Thanks everyone for sharing.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

travisgreyfox wrote:We need to start another thread and call it the minors league thread because this one is filled with the pros. I cant compete!

Thanks everyone for sharing.
The topic was about how your collection is displayed, rather than what is in it. Big or small, rare or common. It is about presentation. One machine tastefully displayed can be more pleasing than a room full of machines if done well. My collection is modest compared to some and large compared to others. It’s all relative.