Producing a Reproduction Clark Johnson Reproducer-Berliner

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Django
Victor IV

Producing a Reproduction Clark Johnson Reproducer-Berliner

Post by Django »

I am in the process of building a copy of a Clark Johnson-Berliner reproducer. It is a one-off and will go on a very good, Australian built, reproduction of a 1898 Berliner. I have been scaling photos and working off of Eldridge Johnson's patent US 655,556. I was hoping that someone could help me out by letting me know the diameter of the body and cover and also the thickness of the body. I am a tool and die maker by trade, but now a mechanical engineer by profession. I have a toolroom-machine shop at home and the reproducer will be polished 304 stainless steel to avoid plating. The needle bar will be A2 tool steel hardened and drawn back to about 30 Rc. No stamping or engraving will be added.

As near as I can tell, the front cover is approximately 1.750" in diameter and the overall thickness is approximately .375". I have jumped the gun a bit and the front cover and needle bar are complete. I should have it done next weekend and I will post pictures. Even if the sizes are a little off, it will still be an improvement. I have a long throat exhibition reproducer on it for now.

The rest of my machines are authentic, but I cannot justify the cost of a trademark machine, and this one comes close.

Thanks in advance.

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Re: Producing a Reproduction Clark Johnson Reproducer-Berlin

Post by JerryVan »

The A2 needle bar with heat treat is probably overkill, but that's what engineers do. Should be nice. Show pics!!!

Jerry Van, P.E.
B.S.M.E. '87

saxymojo
Victor II

Post by saxymojo »

Hi,

You bought the machine from Andrew? I believe that one was made by Trevor Willard.

I am in Sydney if you are near me, you are welcome to call in and take measurements.

Cheers Marcel

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Marcel, thank you for the kind offer. I did buy the machine from Andrew. It is a very good reproduction. Unfortunately, I do not get to Australia, but maybe some day. I am only looking for confirmation on the diameter and thickness of the reproducer. I think that my scaling should be pretty close at 1.75", (44.45 mm), diameter for the cover plate and .375",(9.525 mm), thick for body with cover. Any actual measurements would be helpful.

Thanks

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Django,

Now that I think of it, I may have one that I'm doing some repairs on for a guy. Can you please post a photo of a Clark-Johnson Berliner reproducer. If that's what I've got, I'll get you some dimensions.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

CJ-1.jpg
cj1.jpg[/attachment]CJ-2.jpg[/attachment]

Here is the reproducer that I am replicating and here are a couple work in progress shots. Thanks again.
Attachments
cj1.jpg
cj1.jpg (9.61 KiB) Viewed 2477 times
CJ-2.jpg

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

Beautiful workmanship! I'll check what I've got when I get home.

Phono-Phan
Victor V

Post by Phono-Phan »

WOW!! Awesome work. I am sure you will have some orders for these when you get them done. :D

JerryVan
Victor Monarch Special

Post by JerryVan »

The body of my reproducer measures 1.625" dia. x .312 thk. The thickness does not include the cover plate. The cover plate is 1.690 dia. x .032 thick.

Mine is not the "J" reproducer, but the one with patent dates stamped in the cover plate. I measured another, earlier Berliner reproducer, with an open face cover ring. It measured the same.

Hope that helps.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

Jerry, thank you for your help. That makes the diameter of the front cover the same as the diameter of an early Victor Concert reproducer. I will adjust my models and drawings. I was a little off in my scaling of photos. I don't know if these reproducers were all the same, but it is nice to have dimensions taken from the real thing.

Thanks again