Post by PeterF »

I've listed this big beauty for sale on the Yankee Trader section now:

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... =9&t=28916

Thanks for looking.

mattrx
Victor IV

Re: Capehart Radio/Phonograph with Flipover Changer

Post by mattrx »

I just picked up one of these locally. If anyone can help me get a manufacture date for it, I'd appreciate it. I don't (yet) have the Capehart book that has been mentioned earlier in this thread. A few forum members helped me make up my mind to go ahead and buy this machine, this forum really is a nice and helpful community of collectors.

From what I have gleaned from a few sites and a few conversations, this machine appears to be complete and should not have pot metal issues. Hopefully the restoration will go smoothly.

Matt
Attachments
P1030384.JPG
P1030392.JPG
P1030388.JPG
P1030389.JPG
P1030390.JPG
P1030391.JPG
P1030394.JPG

PeterF
Victor IV

Re: Capehart Radio/Phonograph with Flipover Changer

Post by PeterF »

Great find! Wait for the book, but the letter "K" will tell you the year. I think it's made in 1940 for sale as a 1941 model but I'm guessing.

The serial is under 20,000, which means the changer will not suffer from pot metal content.

I have not yet been able to tackle the gentle return to service of my own (post-war) changer mechanism, but have been told that the safe approach is to clean and carefully inspect, look for visually-evident jams and deteriorated rubber bits and clear them, then gently manually cycle the mechanism by hand, to check for any obstruction or binding.

My personal philosophy on old complex mechanisms like this is to always only clean and lubricate, without disassembly if I can help it and ESPECIALLY without altering any clearances or settings. I feel like it is probably already set up the way it is supposed to be, with the major effect of the intervening time being only dirt accumulation and gummed up lubricants and deteriorated rubber bushings and isolation and such. So carefully get rid of the dirt and gummy crap, and re-lube, and I betcha it is pretty close already.

Electrical restoration is best handled by experts, unless you already are one. Never, ever, just plug it in and turn it on to see what happens...you will lose expensive or irreplaceable components. Just send it off and get it gone through by a pro.

My pre-war one went to one of the most experienced people on this board and is essentially identical to yours, and although I don't know how far he's gotten with it he may have some tips for you on the mechanical part. I facilitated his electronics getting done, by a guy here near SF named John Ecklund, before delivery.