Capehart Radio/Phonograph with Flipover Changer

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
PeterF
Victor IV

Capehart Radio/Phonograph with Flipover Changer

Post by PeterF »

I know this may veer a bit towards the boundaries of this forum's scope, but is anyone out there into the big Capehart radio/phonographs with the excellent and somewhat zany flipover changer?

I have had one (pre-war) for some time, patiently awaiting its turn in the project queue, but have recently acquired another (post-war) that I like a little better. So the earlier one is now surplus, and I have some questions about it before offering it for sale. It's missing its back cover, which apparently was the location of the model designation. Are any of you experts on these, and able to ID them by looking at photos? I'll post photos if someone says they might be able to help. Thanks.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: Capehart Radio/Phonograph with Flipover Changer

Post by alang »

I think Robert Baumbach wrote a book about Capehart phonographs, so he may be able to help.

Andreas

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Interestingly, it was actually he from whom I bought it all those years ago, and at the time he wasn't certain of the model year and other finer points, because of that missing plate.

I'll take some photos and send them to him soon, but just in case, I hope others can help too. Thanks.

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

My post-war Capehart 115-P2 (viewed here on youtube :)) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBQWZ4IwaKk
has the serial number, but not the model number embossed in the topside of the bedplate under the turntable. Maybe the earlier ones did too.
Photos inside and out would help determine the model, if not the exact year.
If there are any paper labels in the amplifier/tuner area any numbers identifying them might help too.
The 100 series models were less elaborate than the 400 series, in both pre and post-war versions.
I'll take a shot at it if you'd like to pm me some photos!
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Very good, thanks. I'll get some photos and post them tomorrow, unless it storms. I'm pretty certain it's the 100 series line.

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Got some pictures of it over the weekend. I think it's from the 100 series, but with the optional dual speaker setup. Also, the serial number of the mechanism is under 20,000, which thankfully is prior to the use of pot metal at around the 20,000 mark.

Ok, experts, please weigh in on this if you can. I'm interested in pinning it down to year of manufacture, cabinet style (Chippendale?) and the specific model designation for this one, plus any additional info - marketing, technical, warnings, tips, etc. you can offer.

Thanks again.
Attachments
Ext.jpg
speaker grille.JPG
Radio.JPG
chgr1.JPG
chgr2.JPG
tonearm1.JPG
tonearm2.JPG

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

More pix...note that clicking them will rotate them to proper alignment as needed, and that clicking them again will enlarge to full size so one can zoom in on the details.
Attachments
serial no.JPG
tuner.JPG
tuner layout.jpg
amp and spkr.JPG
amp layout.JPG
amp tubes.JPG
xfmr mtr.JPG
spkr1.JPG
spkr2.JPG
patents.JPG

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

I'll venture to say that it's a Model 111 x2 Early Georgian, built in 1941 (model year K) going by what I see in the Baumbach Capehart Guide.
Bob
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

rodpickett
Victor II

Post by rodpickett »

Your Capehart appears to be nearly identical to this one on eBay, although the pickup on the eBay listing is different from yours. The eBay listing does not show a close-up photo of the pickup, but I have personally inspected that machine.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/142259065039?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

PeterF
Victor IV

Post by PeterF »

Thanks for the responses. I've also heard from a couple of authorities offline, and so now I know what it is:

- model 111M-2FM
- introduced in 1941 as a 1942 model
- cabinet style Early Georgian
- optional two-speaker configuration
- tuner includes optional FM band
- serial number 17924 places it safely before the introduction of pot metal into the mechanism

Rod is right, the one on eBay is quite close, with the same cabinetry, and even numerically close in serial number. From the pix and model number we can see it's a lesser machine with only one speaker (and no FM, but the pre-war frequency assignment is not what we use today so who cares), but would be just as fun mechanically.

Thanks again for the interest and help.