Featured Phonograph № 131 - Opera House Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: Featured Phonograph № 131 - Opera House Phonograph

Post by HisMastersVoice »

soundgen wrote:What are you all smoking ? It has no age the paper dates its manufacture to 1988 , none of the parts are of the same age , you could call it an elegant crapophone , THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES ON ! Should be transferred here
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewforum.php?f=16
I'm not sure why you are being so rude....

And no it shouldn't be transferred since it's not for sale. :roll:

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

HisMastersVoice wrote:
soundgen wrote:What are you all smoking ? It has no age the paper dates its manufacture to 1988 , none of the parts are of the same age , you could call it an elegant crapophone , THE EMPEROR HAS NO CLOTHES ON ! Should be transferred here
http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewforum.php?f=16
I'm not sure why you are being so rude....

And no it shouldn't be transferred since it's not for sale. :roll:
'strue though ! What's rude about the truth ?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

With all respect, where's the truth in your claim that, "the paper dates its manufacture to 1988?"

It's clear that this Opera House Phonograph isn't your cup of tea. That's perfectly legitimate, but insulting those whose preferences/opinions differ from yours is bad form. There's quite enough of that inn the world today. Live and let live.

George P.
Last edited by phonogfp on Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

phonogfp wrote:With all respect, where's the truth in "the paper dates its manufacture to 1988?"

George P.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Occam%27s_razor

soundgen
Victor VI

Post by soundgen »

phonogfp wrote:With all respect, where's the truth in your claim that, "the paper dates its manufacture to 1988?"

It's clear that this Opera House Phonograph isn't your cup of tea. That's perfectly legitimate, but insulting those whose preferences/opinions differ from yours is bad form. There's quite enough of that inn the world today. Live and let live.

George P.
No I think it is lovely BUT IT ISN'T OLD !

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Is this based on the newspaper found under the motor, or from a different observation?

George P.

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

The machine does not date from 1988 and there was never anything posted that said that. What was said is that is was serviced by someone in Portland in 1988 and they put a piece of newspaper under the motor to collect grease and oil. As is clearly stated it is from the late 20s or early 30s and there is nothing to dispute about it. A lot of collectors have seen this machine in person at this point and they all agree with the age.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

While this isn't in my realm of collecting, I can still appreciate the workmanship and attention to detail. I have bought phonographs and clocks from collectors who have had work done with a note of when bought repaired, etc. However, to bad mouth someone's prize phonograph is totally wrong. If you don't have anything nice to say about someone's machine, keep your damned mouth shut. The purpose of this Forum is to help and educate other collectors. We don't need this bilge to ruin the Forum. I for one appreciate it.
Harvey Kravitz
soundgen wrote:
phonogfp wrote:With all respect, where's the truth in your claim that, "the paper dates its manufacture to 1988?"

George P.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

1920s - 30s was my impression, just from the photos. I'd very much like to see it in person someday.

Again - a wonderful machine, Dan. I only wish the craftsman who made the "cabinet" had signed and dated it!

George P.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

soundgen wrote:

George P.
Neither am I... at least in my head. You either drink too much... or not enough! :lol:
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek