Featured Phonograph № 131 - Opera House Phonograph

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: Featured Phonograph № 131 - Opera House Phonograph

Post by Jerry B. »

The featured machine in this thread is nothing less than marvelous and one of the most interesting talking machines I've ever seen. If you ever get tired of it or need your money back, you've got my number. A promise...

Jerry Blais

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

Jerry B. wrote:The featured machine in this thread is nothing less than marvelous and one of the most interesting talking machines I've ever seen. If you ever get tired of it or need your money back, you've got my number. A promise...

Jerry Blais
I will second that it is a unusual, highly desired, beautiful machine. I do not think the exact age is a determent to this collectable.. It sounds great too. It looks like it could fit in a museum . Does the windows light up ??? maybe some Edison xmas lights. Tom B

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

I'm afraid that Soundgen has the typical British collector's viewpoint - anything that isn't sanctified by received wisdom is "a bit of old tat".

Of course we're not much better over here- something that isn't one of the three top makes is "off-brand rubbish"

fran604g
Victor VI
Personal Text: I'm Feeling Cranky

Post by fran604g »

Phonofreak wrote:While this isn't in my realm of collecting, I can still appreciate the workmanship and attention to detail. I have bought phonographs and clocks from collectors who have had work done with a note of when bought repaired, etc. However, to bad mouth someone's prize phonograph is totally wrong. If you don't have anything nice to say about someone's machine, keep your damned mouth shut. The purpose of this Forum is to help and educate other collectors. We don't need this bilge to ruin the Forum. I for one appreciate it.
Harvey Kravitz
Hear, Hear! And Amen.

Best,
Fran
Francis; "i" for him, "e" for her
"Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in a while" - the unappreciative supervisor.

phonolady
Victor I

Post by phonolady »

Dan,
We agree with Jerry, this is one of the most unique and exceptional phonographs

we have ever seen. It is super cool and outstanding. If you ever get tired of it

we will be right in line to take it off your hands. Of course, your oil painting of Caruso

really needs to go with this if you sell, to keep opera things together. I guess we are in line right after

Jerry, so let us know.

Congratulations and all the best,

David & Lerria

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

melvind wrote:The machine does not date from 1988 and there was never anything posted that said that. What was said is that is was serviced by someone in Portland in 1988 and they put a piece of newspaper under the motor to collect grease and oil. As is clearly stated it is from the late 20s or early 30s and there is nothing to dispute about it. A lot of collectors have seen this machine in person at this point and they all agree with the age.
I agree with the statement about the age. Actually, utilizing the theory of the simplest theory to retain the truth, all parts are from the 20s and 30s, and the similarities are evident with the Black Forest chalet gramophones made in the 30s with third party parts, including the absence of manufacturer labels. This is why I believe it is of German origin - and made in the 30s. And very well made. And until another one is found, unique. Melvin has all reasons to be proud of having this machine in his collection, including its good quality of sound reproduction.

CarlosV
Victor IV

Post by CarlosV »

CarlosV wrote:
melvind wrote:The machine does not date from 1988 and there was never anything posted that said that. What was said is that is was serviced by someone in Portland in 1988 and they put a piece of newspaper under the motor to collect grease and oil. As is clearly stated it is from the late 20s or early 30s and there is nothing to dispute about it. A lot of collectors have seen this machine in person at this point and they all agree with the age.
I agree with the statement about the age. Actually, utilizing the theory of the most logic evidence to support the truth, all parts are from the 20s and 30s, and the similarities are evident with the Black Forest chalet gramophones made in the 30s with third party parts, including the absence of manufacturer labels. This is why I believe it is of German origin - and made in the 30s. And very well made. And until another one is found, unique. Melvin has all reasons to be proud of having this machine in his collection, including its good quality of sound reproduction.

gramophone-georg
Victor VI
Personal Text: Northwest Of Normal

Post by gramophone-georg »

CarlosV wrote:
I agree with the statement about the age. Actually, utilizing the theory of the simplest theory to retain the truth, all parts are from the 20s and 30s, and the similarities are evident with the Black Forest chalet gramophones made in the 30s with third party parts, including the absence of manufacturer labels. This is why I believe it is of German origin - and made in the 30s. And very well made. And until another one is found, unique. Melvin has all reasons to be proud of having this machine in his collection, including its good quality of sound reproduction.
I agree that this is likely an example of Black Forest craftsmanship. The little window that flips up to hide the crank hole is the sort of detail one would expect, in addition to everything else.

They style of work and detail level reminds me of a huge Black Forest cuckoo clock, and I wouldn't doubt that clock craftsmen made this.
"He who dies with the most shellac wins"- some nutty record geek

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

[
I believe Carlos is spot on correct. Jerry Blais

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

I wonder if this phonograph is somehow related to a Chalet phonograph in the phono museum in Paris?
http://www.phonomuseum.paris
Attachments
03.jpg
03.jpg (63.4 KiB) Viewed 1673 times
Screen Shot 2018-08-21 at 5.01.25 PM.png
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife