Interesting crane

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Interesting crane

Post by Brad »

I just aquired my first GEM and the crane that came with it is interesting. It appears to be longer than that required for a GEM horn, and partway down from the end the steel rod is pierced and a chain is permantly attached at the location required for the Gem horn. At the end of the rod is a notch that a chain could be hung from.

The attached pictures tell the story.

Has anyone seen one like this before? Was this an Edison job or after market?
Attachments
Dual mode crane
Dual mode crane
Pierced rod with permenant attachment.
Pierced rod with permenant attachment.
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Re: Interesting crane

Post by gramophoneshane »

I've never seen one like it before Brad, so I have my doubts it's an Edison product.
It's obviously designed for use with either an 8 or 10 panel sized horn, which makes me wonder if it might have been supplied by some small company along with either sized horn. Maybe a mail order company?
I don't think it's a modern(ish) replacement or home made job though, otherwise you'd think it would made to suit only one size horn.
Is it brass or nickel plated finish?

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

seems home-made, no?

nice gem though. is the paint on the horn original as well?

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

I am not sure of the finish, it may be nickel. I don't think it is home made, the notch near the end is definitely machine cut and the peirced point in the middle appears to be as well.

Thanks for the compliment on the GEM. I am very happy with it. The horn is the original paint and the machines plays very well.
Attachments
Picture 003.jpg
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

ColoradoPhonograf
Victor II

Post by ColoradoPhonograf »

That's a very nice GEM and horn. The crane appears like it sits a bit high for an Edison product. I'd be happy with it and the diversity it provides. Time will tell what the original intentions were for the crane.

Congrats, that horn is pretty hard to find in nice condition.

ColoradoPhonograf

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

Nice Gem and horn. It must have the additional gearing to play four minute cylinders. I suspect the crane is home made or modified from crane parts for a larger machine. If you are happy with it, that's fine. If not, it's really easy to make a crane that looks like a traditional Gem crane. Take your machine to a welding supply business and buy a stainless steel rod that perfectly fits the crane hole in the body of the Gem. The next step is to bend the rod. Place the rod in a vice and slip a short length of pipe over the rod. Use the pipe to make a crisp bend in the crane. Next, put the crane on the Gem and estimate where it should be cut to length. The next step is the cut a very shallow grove in the tip. Finally, use a paper clip to make a little hook for the chain. The curve in the paper clip should be pinched so it stays in the grove on the tip of the crane. After hooking up a short piece of chain, you're in business.