Print media: share your catalogues and advertising!

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
MordEth
Victor IV
Personal Text: Contact me for TMF tech support.

Re: Print media: share your catalogues and advertising!

Post by MordEth »

gramophoneshane wrote:And I thought Ebay was the only place to see "Edison Victor Phonograph" :)
Now we can all say that we have seen it in print, and so it might actually be truth in advertising on eBay! :lol:
Fredrik wrote:Another interesting detail (if you look at the picture in full size) is that the machine seems to have a slot at the side, thus being a coin operated player, which hardly seems to be the natural thing to advertise towards ordinary people for usage at home.
Fredrik,

Thanks for mentioning that—I did not catch this detail when I viewed your image at full size the first time...my attention was drawn to the horn hole in the front and the monkeys. I had wondered if they were perhaps the answer to Nipper. (“Look for the Monkey!”?)

Definitely, you guys have some interesting print materials in your collections.

Certainly, it would be interesting to know if they beat Victor to the internal horn...

— MordEth

Proudly supporting phonograph discussion boards, hosting phonograph sites and creating phonograph videos since 2007.
Need web hosting or web (or other graphic) design? Support MordEth by using BaseZen Consulting for all of your IT consulting needs.
Want more phonograph discussion? Be sure to visit The Online Edison Phonograph Discussion Board.

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

Fredrik wrote: Another interesting detail (if you look at the picture in full size) is that the machine seems to have a slot at the side, thus being a coin operated player, which hardly seems to be the natural thing to advertise towards ordinary people for usage at home.
Hymnophones were manufactured and marketed in three different sizes for home use, and one additional automatic version for restaurants, since 1904.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Would this be the first internal horn machine ever made?
I though Victor laid claim to that in 1906?
Yes and no . . . the horn on a Hymnophone is a fully realized spun-metal horn only it is turned down (rather than up) and passes completely through the front of the cabinet to reveal the horn bell on the outside of the front panel -- approaching the fully enclosed horn of the Victrola, but not quite there yet. It was still up to Victor to completely cabinetize a non-decorative horn and conceal it behind doors..
John M
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Starkton
Victor IV

Post by Starkton »

JohnM wrote: It was still up to Victor to completely cabinetize a non-decorative horn and conceal it behind doors.
The First Victrola. – ... A man named John Bailey Browning had developed all of the basic concepts of the commercial Victrola (concealed horn, louvered speaker, directional doors, and tapered tone arm) as early as 1897, and by 1901 had been employed by the Victor Co. He ... soon left their employ. Once Victor began to produce a version of his design, he began to fight for his priority, and eventuall sold his claims to the Brunswick-Balke-Collender Co. who then received a favorable verdict in April, 1921. (The Antique Phonograph Monthly, Vol. IV, No. 4, New York, April 1976, pp. 2-4)