I patiently waited then . . .

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
jboger
Victor IV

I patiently waited then . . .

Post by jboger »

I patiently waited a week for this day to come as I had hoped to pick up an interesting Hawthorne & Sheble machine, a Climax, at a nearby auction. I could see from the picture that the brake/speed control mechanism was missing from the left side of the platter. And there was something I couldn't quite make out on the right side (see picture). No crank seemed to be present either, but really couldn't tell. Perhaps these missing pieces could be supplied by a decrepit Columbia machine? Alas, all became clear when I examined the machine on site. It had been gutted and an electric motor had been fitted by altering (mangling) the top of the case. A hole had been drilled to receive a button switch (that unknown "something") to the right of the platter. No crank because no crank was necessary. The parts would have been good to get, but I passed as I didn't want yet another machine with a permanently damaged case and have to chase after for impossible to get parts. Still, it was interesting to see this machine. The case was quite impressive and you can see that the decal was in good shape.
Attachments
fi185.cgi.jpg
fi185.cgi.jpg (41.33 KiB) Viewed 1425 times

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Re: I patiently waited then . . .

Post by Curt A »

Did it go for very much...?
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

jboger
Victor IV

Post by jboger »

I was the underbidder at $180. It went for $190. Probably worth it if you parted it out but I don't want to part things out. I much rather have original machines.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

Don't blame you for that... It might be a long time trying to piece that back together. Besides, you said the motorboard was butchered, so that leaves the bottom of the case, backmount and tonearm (which look specific for that machine) and the only other thing is the horn, which you would be buying near retail...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife