Featured Phonograph № 36

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
OrthoFan
Victor V

Re: Featured Phonograph № 36

Post by OrthoFan »

larryh wrote:Sean,

Well that patent drawing is interesting. Its been some time since I owned the 810 and it seemed to me that the horn opened in one large front opening using the left wall as a portion thereof. I may be forgetting the way it was put together, but I don't recall the dual tone chambers they mention. I wonder if that is the same as the 810? Someone here surely has one though?
Hi Larry:

Actually, I'm David, (Joe_DS on phonoland.) There are a couple of patents for the Hinckley horns showing different designs. I remember on the old OTVMMB, one of the posters provided detailed photos of his Viva-Tonal tone chamber. It was either an 800 or 810--I don't remember which. (None of the images were captured by the Internet Archive, unfortunately.)

In terms of comprehensive information available, the Viva Tonal phonographs have taken a back seat to the Victor models, which is a shame, since they were well designed, and actually do sound quite good.

masterjohn.....

Re: Featured Phonograph № 36

Post by masterjohn..... »

I had the same "Granada" for quite a few years. The cabinet was almost mint (bought it about 1978 for $125) and the elec. motor worked like new..completely silent. For such a small horn it had an absolutely remarkable sound.
We had an 8-30 and an 8-12 as well and the "Granada" performed with the same rich orthophonic sound. Thanks for sharing!