After market Brunswick painted cabinet.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
larryh
Victor IV

After market Brunswick painted cabinet.

Post by larryh »

Hello all,

Well after years of thinking I would get a photo or two of this Brunswick to show, I finally made a visit to my old friends along with my camera for a change. I had purchased this Brunswick way back in 1961 from an Antique Dealer in Kansas City Mo, whom said it used to reside in the lobby of the Mulbach Hotel there. Being fairly new to collecting I assumed it was original from Brunswick, but in studying it again I see that it is an aftermarket paint job, although when new a fairly interesting one. Since on here I have seen the same models in wood finish. It has an electric motor and at one time must have had an installed radio as a wire is contained in the side panel which opens from the cabinet, most likely for better reception? I would have taken an interior shot of the motor board and arm, but he current owner had it stuffed with paper from recently moving and I didn't want to push my luck. The interior wood is painted a rough finish gold toned paint, and really sets of the outer cabinet when open. The funny thing was that I had sold it to another dealer in St. Louis whom sold it to my yet unmet new neighbor who also was interested in phonographs. He has owned it since. It makes a handsome looking piece even if not perhaps the factory finish.

Larry
Attachments
Brunswick painted cabinet, not sure what part this little set of spring like pieces performs?
Brunswick painted cabinet, not sure what part this little set of spring like pieces performs?
Painted Brunswick.
Painted Brunswick.
Painted Brunswick
Painted Brunswick
Painted Brunswick
Painted Brunswick

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Re: After market Brunswick painted cabinet.

Post by brianu »

interesting machine. and the paint job looks old, and professionally done. is it scratched any where where you might be able to see what's underneath?

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

The first photo of that unknown tab in the area where the grill would have been installed shows a bit of wood showing though on the edge.

I didn't know that the photos would show up in reverse like this, I would have put the full machine photo first if I had know how it was going to load.

Yes I have no doubt the paint job is professional as well as very early. But I do feel by now that it wasn't probably something Brunswick did since the name is not showing inside the lid.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

larryh wrote:It has an electric motor and at one time must have had an installed radio as a wire is contained in the side panel which opens from the cabinet, most likely for better reception? I would have taken an interior shot of the motor board and arm, but he current owner had it stuffed with paper from recently moving and I didn't want to push my luck.
Well, this is a BR-260, no? Other than the paint, it looks identical to the set-up in my picture below... mine is missing the drawer beneath the horn though.

So, the vertical slats have been removed to the left of the horn... but it looks like you still have the radio drawer (below the horn).

You are correct, the side panel door was an antenna that you could pull out for better reception.

So, have you pulled that drawer under the horn open? Is it a radio?

This is OrthoSean's image.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Actually it isn't mine any longer. I sold it and it ended up becoming owned by the people I became friends with much later. I did not recall a radio in the drawer to my knowledge. Would you happen to know what the two little springlike clips that seem to have little pads they sit on did? One is on each side of the horn lower opening behind where the grill would usually drop into place? I can't see a reason for them, one is shown in that first photo.