Victor O

Re: Edison Amberola 30 front grill

Post by max_phenol »

Thanks! The serial no is SM-185448

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

My 30 is #41597: would that have had the early cloth?

Bill

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Bill and Max, both would have the tan or coffee color cloth. The earliest Amberols 30s with 4 digit S/Ns used the burnt orange cloth. Also, they had gold pinstriping, nickle plated brass Diamond C reproducer, and exposed speed control. Here is what I use for grill cloth, PANTY-HOSE!!!! Yep, that's right. You can get this stuff in a coffee or tan color. It is the right sheer for the sound to come out. Regular fabric is too thick, and muffles the sound. Here is what I do to mount it: Cut the panty hose an inch larger that the perimeter of the grill. Apply Tacky glue one one edge. Don't do all four edges at once, or you'll have a mess. Stretch the panty hose over the edge and secure with alligator clips or small spring clamps. If you use clothepins, use the plastic ones. Wooden ones will stick to the glue, and a mess to remove.. When it is dry, do the same each side at a time. Be sure to hold taunt. When done, the cloth should be tight as a drum. Then carefully trim the edges. The panty hose is just as sheer as the original grill cloth, and looks authentic.
Harvey Kravitz

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Yes, From it's 1915 inception, ALL Amberola 30's came with Grille cloths. It's the earlier Amberolas such as the "X" and the "DX" models with the simulated wood painted horns that could have come with or without the Grille cloths originally. This was a big question on a thread on the TMF about almost two years ago. There is a thread in the archive that deals with this subject and the thread at the time was very popular. Do a Search in the TMF Archives to find it. Ultimately, I think that it was George P. that came up with the final answers on the earlier Amberolas as it had always been a mystery for lots of us to whether they came with or without Grille Cloths or not. The answer was both.. but not for the Amberola 30's. They always had Grille Cloths from Day 1.

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

barnettrp21122
Victor IV
Personal Text: "Did you ever stop to think that pleasure is a duty?" (Victor sales pamphlet)

Post by barnettrp21122 »

Phonofreak wrote:Bill and Max, both would have the tan or coffee color cloth. The earliest Amberols 30s with 4 digit S/Ns used the burnt orange cloth. Also, they had gold pinstriping, nickle plated brass Diamond C reproducer, and exposed speed control. Here is what I use for grill cloth, PANTY-HOSE!!!! Yep, that's right. You can get this stuff in a coffee or tan color. It is the right sheer for the sound to come out. Regular fabric is too thick, and muffles the sound. Here is what I do to mount it: Cut the panty hose an inch larger that the perimeter of the grill. Apply Tacky glue one one edge. Don't do all four edges at once, or you'll have a mess. Stretch the panty hose over the edge and secure with alligator clips or small spring clamps. If you use clothepins, use the plastic ones. Wooden ones will stick to the glue, and a mess to remove.. When it is dry, do the same each side at a time. Be sure to hold taunt. When done, the cloth should be tight as a drum. Then carefully trim the edges. The panty hose is just as sheer as the original grill cloth, and looks authentic.
Harvey Kravitz

After two tries I got good results using this method on an Edison oak B-80 grill.

Next time, though, I'll buy a super-size. I had to stretch this a LOT!!! :lol:
Bob
IMG_3209.JPG
"Comparison is the thief of joy" Theodore Roosevelt

His Master's Voice Automatic 1A Exponential Gramophone Demonstration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qi70G1Rzqpo

NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Post by NEFaurora »

Yeah, I've seen Panty Hose used before with Good Success... but I myself personally like the Grille cloths sold on ebay from guys like Walt Sommers... Plus, They Don't run....lol...!!!

:o)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

vansteem78
Victor II

Post by vansteem78 »

The last time I talked to Ron Sitko on New York state I think he said he just got in a bunch of grills but now I cannot remember what machine they were for. You might contact him. Anyone have his phone or address handy? Neil

phonojim
Victor IV

Post by phonojim »

I talked to Ron not too long ago and he had both grilles in stock. They are a normally stocked item for him.

Jim