Perhaps for early music videos?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
bbphonoguy
Victor III

Perhaps for early music videos?

Post by bbphonoguy »

Well, we saw the "stereo" from the 1920's that one ebayer had, now this.....

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-RCA-Victor- ... 286.c0.m14

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Re: Perhaps for early music videos?

Post by estott »

At first I thought the seller was stupid, but there on the back label it DOES say RCA VICTOR VICTROLA. So, blame it on RCA.

bbphonoguy
Victor III

Post by bbphonoguy »

Omigosh! It does! I wonder why RCA would do that? Perhaps just to keep a legal right to the word "Victrola"?

gregbogantz
Victor II

Post by gregbogantz »

Yes, RCA retained the rights to use the term "victrola" and the Nipper HMV logo as trademarks for the entire existence of the corporation which was finally sold to GE around 1986. You may remember the RCA label LPs did not use the HMV logo during much of the early 1970s. The labels were bland yellow with white block RCA corporate logo lettering (pop series) or red with white RCA block corporate logo for the red seals. But in order to retain the use of the logo as a trademark, they had to use it on at least one release each month (I was told when I enquired about it from our RCA Records management). So there was usually a red seal release each month that used Nipper on the label. Nipper appeared more regularly on the RCA consumer electronics. But they used the "victrola" name on the electronics as well, regardless of whether it was a phonograph or not. It was treated as part of the RCA corporate franchise in consumer products.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.