How the Internet has, helped my hobby.

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: How the Internet has, helped my hobby.

Post by Valecnik »

OrthoSean wrote:Well, not to go too far off topic, my daily dose of beer is usually Miller Lite. On special occasions, nothing beats a nice local India Pale Ale though, but at $12 a six pack and my ability to finish said six pack in a couple of hours, I mostly stick with my standby! If I were richer, the story would be much different....

I'll keep this on topic by saying there is usually some sort of phonograph playing while the beers are flowing...

:D ;)

Sean
1926 Credenza Owner, nothing wrong with that picture of yours (with the possible exception of the bud lite). :D I must admit that a nice fresh beer can enhance the listening experience and the two often go together at my house. One of my favorites, Kozel, or "Goat" beer can be had for ~70 cents a half liter on tap within walking distance. If you bring an empty pitcher or water bottle, they will fill it up from the tap for you "to go". Sorry no drive through window yet though. :lol:
Attachments
Kozel Beer.jpg
Kozel Beer.jpg (70.44 KiB) Viewed 1243 times

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

So we can all owe, a bit of gratitude, to the internet for helping our passion for antique records and phonographs.

....and beer too!

Paul :mrgreen:

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Paul,

Yes I think most of us appreciate the 'net, even if we don't like to always admit it! ;) I think the wise collector uses all avenues open to him or her, the 'net, flea markets, auctions, shows, shops, classifieds & yard sales. The 'net has been my primary source since I don't drive and I live in the middle of a large city with very mobile population. However I have found some of my best acquisitions out in the real world.

I'll stick with my Bass Ale Thank you Image, Of course gin goes very nicely with fox trots too! ;) (In a tea cup :coffee: )

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

I forgot to mention another way that the internet has really helped me in the hobby. That is access to the services of http://www.vonage.com. (I don't work for them or own any stock).

For $17 monthly I get a U.S. telephone number and 500 minutes/month to call the USA or Canada. After 500 minutes, 4 cents/minute. Anybody can dial my number for whatever it normall costs them to dial the 612 area code. I speak on a normal telephone, not via a computer like with Skype.

This allows me to speak easily with eBAY sellers, (which I always do before buying anything significant) and with other collectors. The time difference means I'm normally speaking with collectors & friends Saturday & Sunday afternoon & early evening, (morning thier time). More often than not I have the phone in one hand and one of the below pictured items in my other hand, great fun! :lol:
Attachments
Czech beer.jpg
Czech beer.jpg (57.12 KiB) Viewed 1216 times

1926CredenzaOwner
Victor II

Post by 1926CredenzaOwner »

!
Last edited by 1926CredenzaOwner on Sat Mar 24, 2012 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Edisonfan
Victor V
Personal Text: Invention is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration

Post by Edisonfan »

Oh, I agree with you John. All of my records and machines were bought in the wild. I have used the net primaraly, for communicateing with other collectors. Through boards such as this one, and email.

Paul :geek:

Valecnik
Victor VI

Post by Valecnik »

For you real die hard Edison fans who want to go "totally Edison" while listening to your Diamond Disc machine by kerosene lamp... :lol:

THE WEBSITE: http://www.edisonbeer.com/
Attachments
edison-beer.jpg
edison-beer.jpg (46.37 KiB) Viewed 1198 times

Neophone
Victor III

Post by Neophone »

Perfect number! :D Image I have to find a copy of that one! :D

Bruce-I also need a six pack of that beer! :lol: (It looks like it's available here in Boston fortunately)

Gee this give me an idea for a thread in the music section......

Regards,
John

Listening to the Victrola fifteen minutes a day will alter and brighten your whole life.
Use each needle only ONCE!

EdisonSquirrel
Victor II

Post by EdisonSquirrel »

I frequently pour a glass of wine when listening to records. Edison dance band records go well with cabernet and merlot. :D

Now if you'll excuse me, I'll uncork another bottle of homemade acorn wine!

:lol: :squirrel: :lol:

Rocky