this seller has some high end stuff

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Sidewinder
Victor III

Re: this seller has some high end stuff

Post by Sidewinder »

Wooden tone arms are not that unique on the European continent with many cabinet gramophones so equipped after the First World War.

There were also wooden sound boxes made - with the exception of the stylus bar - entirely of wood (yes, membrane as well). Perhaps one of these should have been on this machine if one was going for the overall wood look.

Krebs & Klenk (factory near Frankfurt)were the company that made Klingsors - would anyone know when they ceased to exist? I would guess early 1930's?

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Sidewinder wrote:Wooden tone arms are not that unique on the European continent with many cabinet gramophones so equipped after the First World War.

There were also wooden sound boxes made - with the exception of the stylus bar - entirely of wood (yes, membrane as well). Perhaps one of these should have been on this machine if one was going for the overall wood look.

Krebs & Klenk (factory near Frankfurt)were the company that made Klingsors - would anyone know when they ceased to exist? I would guess early 1930's?
Hi Sidewinder:

I've seen a few photos of all-wood sound boxes, though never any in person, and am aware that wooden tonearms were used on a number of gramophones. In the states, the deluxe Sonora models were fitted with wooden tonearms, though they used the conventional sound boxes.

Many thanks for supplying the last names of the principles for the Klingsor company. After a little googling, I found that their names were KLENK HEINRICH and KREBS HERMANN.

Using that information, I plan to visit the European Patent Office's advanced search page after work today -- http://ep.espacenet.com/advancedSearch?locale=en_EP -- to see if I can spot anything. I'd imagine that searching for data by typing one or both names in either the "Applicants" or "Inventors" search boxes should come up with something. (Playing around with it for a few minutes, I've already spotted patent information about the company's conventional "harp string" gramophones.)

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Hi Ortho

Klingsor machines were patented in the USA in 1907 - granted 1908 : patent 899491

Theodor Isaac Co. was apparently manufacturing Klingsors in Chicago around 1912.

(hope this is more or less correct!)

OrthoFan
Victor V

Post by OrthoFan »

Well, I see that the seller revised his description -- prototype gramophone

It should be interesting to see if it sell for that price.

Sidewinder
Victor III

Post by Sidewinder »

Far too many red flags here, and the revised version has added a few more.

gramophoneshane
Victor VI

Post by gramophoneshane »

Yes, very dodgy description. To many ifs & buts & maybes, & absolutely nothing to back up a word he says. Nice gramophone, but way over-priced for an off brand/unknown machine.