Edison Lab Re-Opens - PART 2

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

Edison Lab Re-Opens - PART 2

Post by phonophan79 »

So, after I went to the Wayne parking lot meet, I made my way over to the Edison Lab Museum re-opening.

These are from the "phonograph room". Unfortunately, all these pictures were taken from behind glass. It's phono-heaven.

Shall we play identify the machines? ;-)

Recording Telegraph

The First Phonograph

that monster is an Edison C-2 Radio / Phonograph

that even bigger wall-sized monster is Edison's Gothic phonograph (too bad it's blurry)

non-original paint job Army / Navy machine

Stroh violins

Kinetophone

Don't know the model, but like the carving

prototype long-play diamond disc automatic changer (it works)

close up of the long-play in the prototype

Edison radio and electric pick-up phonograph

I have the long play machine on the top left :-)

Love this grill

See Edison's Credenza? :-)
Last edited by phonophan79 on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

schweg
Victor III

Re: Edison Lab Re-Opens - PART 2

Post by schweg »

This is great! Thanks for the pictures. My brother from VA and I (from TX) had planned on going last summer when we visited parents in NJ but realized the lab was not opened yet. This gives me something to really look forward to for summer 2010!! Steve

Kirkwood
Victor II

Post by Kirkwood »

Thanks so much for all of these great photos, both parts I and II! I toured the Edison Laboratory back in 1978 or 1979. It was interesting enough to me at the time, but kind of disappointing too. The phonographs were just a few positioned around a room, with no real presentation as we are seeing here, and of course not nearly the variety. Clearly they have done a lot of work to get stuff out and displayed. Never heard about that long play changer! All in all a great little tour that leaves me promising myself to go back again soon.

Post by Guest »

The 7th pic from top, marked "cylinder recorder", is a Kinetophone (talking pictures) phonograph, with the Higham mechanically-amplified reproducer. Nifty.

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

Phonophan79 or someone who knows NJ; how far is this from Morristown? I'll be there for business in a week and might try to drive there from Morristown a week from today. Would they be open sundays? Thanks,

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

I'm a s. nj guy but mapquest says about 20 miles. Please someone correct me if that's incorrect.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Morristown is not too far from West Orange, totally doable if you have a car...

From the website: (http://www.nps.gov/edis/planyourvisit/hours.htm)
Hours of Operation as of October 14, 2009

Laboratory Complex

* Open Wednesday through Sunday.
* Hours are 9:00am - 5:00pm.
* Group Reservations required. Contact the Group Coordinator

Glenmont Estate

* Open Friday through Sunday.
* Grounds are open 11:30am - 5:00pm.
* House tours are from 12:00pm - 4:00pm and begin on the hour.
* Passes for Glenmont must be obtained before going to Glenmont. Passes are obtained at the Laboratory Complex Visitor Center.

gregbogantz
Victor II

Post by gregbogantz »

Thanks for the pictures. Glad to see what they've done with the restoration as it will probably be some time before I can see the lab and grounds in person. Just one correction: The photo that you have labeled as the C-2 radio/phono is actually the C-1. MUCH more rare than the C-2. There are only a handful of C-1s known to exist in complete condition. That long console radio/phono looks like an earlier prototype that never made production. And that LP changer is a surprise, particularly as it is an acoustic player. Fabrizio/Paul have shown a picture of an electrical player version of this changer in one their books, but I didn't know the design was originally done as an acoustic player.
Collecting moss, radios and phonos in the mountains of WNC.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

Also worth noting is the Amberola IV on the upper level right of the last photo. There are only about 3 or 4 of those known to exist. I used to have one that I eventually sold to Mike Khanchalian. It's pictured in one of the Fabrizio/Paul books.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

phonophan79 wrote:Morristown is not too far from West Orange, totally doable if you have a car...

From the website: (http://www.nps.gov/edis/planyourvisit/hours.htm)
Hours of Operation as of October 14, 2009

Laboratory Complex

* Open Wednesday through Sunday.
* Hours are 9:00am - 5:00pm.
* Group Reservations required. Contact the Group Coordinator

Glenmont Estate

* Open Friday through Sunday.
* Grounds are open 11:30am - 5:00pm.
* House tours are from 12:00pm - 4:00pm and begin on the hour.
* Passes for Glenmont must be obtained before going to Glenmont. Passes are obtained at the Laboratory Complex Visitor Center.
Thanks alot. This was exactly the type of info I was looking for. So you know what I'll be doing next Sunday, laboratories by 9am and Glenmont in the afternoon :D