Wayne MME phono show pics - 10/11/09

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
larryh
Victor IV

Re: Wayne MME phono show pics - 10/11/09

Post by larryh »

Great photos, don't see too many large machines in cabinets? What would account for the condition of the portables, they appear nearly new?

brianu
Victor V
Personal Text: on instagram as "oncedeadsound"

Post by brianu »

I've been to the wayne show a few times now and was surprised on this occasion by the smaller size of the crowd and the fewer number of machines (especially rare and uncommon ones), relative to prior shows. also, I didn't think that, in general - particularly factoring in the economy - that prices were all that spectactular, if anything, many seemed a bit high (one table had a few portables lined up, granted in nice shape, but for a standard black hmv the price was as I recall about 350... there also was one in either red or blue, can't remember, at the same table for 800 or 900). the same went for record/cylinder cabinets, some of which were just sheet music or piano roll cabinets... they just seemed priced high, especially considering the condition.

I did see a decent victor VI that needed a little work, but was nice, complete - although with a smooth mahogany horn rather than speartip - and it included a decent mahogany stand/cabinet, with a 5500 asking price that seemed negotiable. that XVIII people mentioned was definitely nice, but for 3600 I don't think you'd be getting anything close to a bargain.

it was still an interesting visit, though, saw a few people from the board, and picked up several great discs, including a few to indulge my growing fascination with the vaughn de leath.

larryh
Victor IV

Post by larryh »

Shows always seem to have the highest prices going it seems. Maybe because they are playing to the captive crowd that wants what they have? As to the people in attendance. It isn't surprising at all that the crowds are thin. When I look at things on ebay many that used to have 10 pages are down to one. Why? People basically are only spending if they really think its something they can't live without, or have a job or income to which neither matter. ( well that does seem to be a number of collectors). I have found it interesting how since I started to pick up Edison records again a few years ago how the price has lowered on the more common things. In fact I looked the other day and many people that are listing are getting one or so items to sell out of a list of maybe 20. And that is with prices quite cheap. It used to be that even those limited interest records would find a couple people willing to bid it up some, but no longer. People seem to be quite concerned about the economy with good reason.
As a side note on the ebay observations. It is interesting how some sellers with actually quite high opening bids and shipping are selling every record they have almost, while the same record from a unknown seller is going though at a forth the price with no bid? I guess its the hope that what your getting for more money will be worth it in condition, which sometimes it is, and sometimes it isn't.

Post by Guest »

Does anybody know the price for the AMET machine?