Spring noise following cleaning and regreasing

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Phono48
Victor IV

Re: Spring noise following cleaning and regreasing

Post by Phono48 »

I put a couple of generous dollops of general purpose grease in the bottom of the spring barrel before winding the spring in dry. The grease soon distributes itself on the first couple of windings.

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

As a followup: I got to the motor last Saturday, removing the barrel, opening it and removing the first, or top spring. Indeed, the lubricant in there was far too thin. I put a good amount of heavier grease on the second spring, mushing it well down in there and making sure to get as much as possible in between the coils. I then replaced the plate separating the two springs, and as Phono48 suggested, put a generous amount in the barrel prior to reinstalling the first spring (time didn't permit me to uncoil and remove the second spring). At any rate, it is much quieter now, with only a very occasional soft "schlump" sound on winding, possibly a result of still not having enough grease on spring #2. I'm hoping this is normal with the motor, as I really don't want to dig into it again. I'll leave that for the next person to learn -- hopefully long after I myself have wound down!

dutchman
Victor IV

Post by dutchman »

JerryVan wrote:
CharliePhono wrote:I'll assume then this is just a normal variant.

Hard to say. Never used Synthetic grease mixed with Marvel Mystery Oil before. The only "mystery" about MMO is what it's actually good for. (This is from an antique car point of view mostly)
Its good for lots and lots of smoke out the exhaust.... :mrgreen:

Bill K