Automatic Brake Leather

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
thepianolist
Victor Jr

Automatic Brake Leather

Post by thepianolist »

Does anyone know of a site that explains how to replace the worn brake leather on an Orthophonic automatic brake? I'm sure it seems simple to those who have done it over and over again, but to us first-timers it can be a bit intimidating.
Thanks,
Bryant Stott

coyote
Victor II

Re: Automatic Brake Leather

Post by coyote »

I asked this very question a while back--see

http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... f=2&t=1769

It's really tough to find sewing machine belt that is tough enough so it doesn't just bend when it hits the edge of the turntable, and inserting it into the metal of the brake is murder. There are some more elegant solutions posted in the other thread, but sometimes I just end up cutting a thin strip of leather, then wrapping the whole piece all the way around the brake and what's left of the old piece, using rubber cement to secure the ends. Not pretty, but it works.

larryh
Victor IV

Re: Automatic Brake Leather

Post by larryh »

Thanks for linking to that old post. I couldn't recall if it was on this site or the previous ones that I had submitted that drawing. So far it provides a very positive and silent stop and is easy to install. I always had like others used the sewing machine belting which is still available but the Edison fooled me by having a larger size in what seemed to be a two stage leather. It might have been that it was just worn in that manner, but by rolling the piece till it just fits snugly in to the break, then continuing to roll a few more wraps creates a way to have it hold into the lug without all that prying and squeezing that is usually part of installing a one size break leather.
I had made the original one leaving more than the necessary amount of leather on the breaking side. I had to keep trimming it down with a straight edge razor blade till it just cleared the turntable when the release is engaged. That way as soon as the stop is tripped it quickly and quietly stops the turntable.
Using a very thin and subtle leather is a must for wrapping and glueing as is necessary.