The VV-VI at School

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

The VV-VI at School

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

IMG_1097 Phonograph Lesson -Record.JPG
I have been teaching a short lesson about old music and phonographs at a nearby school. All of the second grade classes at the school are receiving the same lesson. As part of the lesson, I played several records (includes explaining how a record relates to a CD) and explained how the Victrola runs. The classical tune "Humoresque" was played first. The Victor Record entitled "In a Clock Store" was fun to play along with some dance music and a Harry Lauder record entitled "It's A Fine Thing to Sing" where the class joins in with the chorus. I also read a short passage from a music appreciation book published by the Victor Talking Machine Co. in 1920. The 1916 VV-VI performed well.

Update: I appreciate the replies and will add "Whistler and His Dog" to my plans for a short lesson with 3rd Graders on Monday.

Don
Last edited by EdiBrunsVic on Fri May 19, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

alang
VTLA
Personal Text: TMF Moderator

Re: The VV-VI at School

Post by alang »

That is such a great idea to offer classes or presentations like this to Elementary School kids. They seem to be interested, so you must have done a good job capturing their attention. Well done!

Andreas

Steve Levi
Victor II

Post by Steve Levi »

Good job!! I am sure these children were fascinated. Could inspire a future hobbiest or two. You are an inspiration in the giving of your time! Steve

RolandVV-360
Victor II
Personal Text: The Finest Gift of All!

Post by RolandVV-360 »

How nice! I see you have your 2-55 with you also. How did the kids like the presentation? I hope a kid or two come out of that lesson with an interest in phonographs.
PHONOGRAPH, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises. -Ambrose Bierce

-Roland

bigshot
Victor II

Post by bigshot »

Play Whistler and his Dog for them!

Jwb88
Victor II

Post by Jwb88 »

I think this is fantastic! Great machine to use and your program sounds excellent (although I do second BigShot's suggestion of Whistler and his Dog. I use the electric batwing version of that for demos often mostly because of the great sound quality)

Rexophone
Victor I

Post by Rexophone »

This reminds me-- I have recently been pondering that the MP3 generation must think it very curious that early music players once came with an oil can. Try squirting that into your ear buds.

Nice job!

Steve

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

I've been thinking about doing demonstrations at my local town's museum and maybe school. I've been asked to put stuff into their museum but I simply can't do that lol. If you don't mind I have a few questions about how you went about the demonstration and how long it took etc. did you start off with a short history description and go from there?
J.F.

GrafonolaG50
Victor II

Post by GrafonolaG50 »

I did a few presentations with both my portable and my VV-IV in high school, and more than a few people were intrigued by how it worked. And then I took my portable to college and when we had a power outage, I has a pretty good sized group sitting around listening to big band. If I even got one person to gain any interest in this old technology, I call it a success.

EdiBrunsVic
Victor IV

Post by EdiBrunsVic »

IMG_1106.JPG
The students enjoyed the lesson. It was presented several times. A student made this "card" to thank me for my efforts.