What do you folks use to move larger machines?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Victor VI

What do you folks use to move larger machines?

Post by 52089 »

How do you all move larger upright/console machines around, e.g., between the house and car/van? Right now I've been relying on the kindness of my landlord, but that's not really fair to him.

Do you use a hand truck? A flatbed? Pros and cons? I figured the hand truck was probably the best way, but the "standard" hand truck is only 22" wide and the wider "appliance" truck weighs almost as much as a small machine!

All thoughts and ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Re: What do you folks use to move larger machines?

Post by Jerry B. »

We live in a cul de sac with great neighbors. I busy myself in the garage and wait for my next victim. As soon as I see someone, I swoop in. I call it my vulture technique and it works every time. Of course, we've had some turnover in the neighborhood. :shock:

Jerry Blais

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

I would be lost without my "Console Board", a 32" long piece of 1X8 with a lip made of a 1X2 on edge screwed to it along one edge. With this simple accessory I can move anything up to and including a Columbia 810 or a Victor Electrola 8-60 with a common two-wheel dolly. I also like to cover the metal tubes which make up thee dolly with foam pipe insulation so that any worry about scratches is superfluous.

Phonofreak
Victor VI

Post by Phonofreak »

Do you buy them lunch :lol: after they help out? :lol:
Harvey Kravitz

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I will bet he offers some Edison light beer. :lol: :lol: Tom B

marcapra
Victor V
Personal Text: Man who ride on tiger find it very difficult to dismount! Charlie Chan

Post by marcapra »

After watching Jerry Blais move the very heavy Columbia 810 with an appliance dolly alone, I decided to buy one. It really works well as long as you tighten the straps tight. I also made my own flat dolly on casters with 1 X 1 screwed around the edges so machines can't slide off. It's about five feet long and three feet wide with a handle purchased at Harbor Freight meant for wagons to pull it.

oldphonographsteve
Victor II
Personal Text: I'm the guy that found the fault in asphalt

Post by oldphonographsteve »

The general method that I have used in the past to move floor model machines is to have someone grab the front legs of the machine and another find some way to grip the top back of the machine somewhere below or behind the lid. Usually on Victrolas there is a door that opens up in the back and then you can very easily grip it. The person gripping the front legs lifts the machine off the ground while the other person in back tips it backwards while gripping it in the aforementioned way. This method seems to be the most efficient from what I've tried, and the weight is balanced very well in this method. Be sure to lock or tie down the lid while doing this to keep it from opening.

I hope this helps,
Stephen

colmike1
Victor III

Post by colmike1 »

I also us an appliance dolly. The only problem I have found is that the feet on Victrola XVI's and Edison C-250's rub against the wheels. I have to block them out with a 2X2 piece of lumber.

JayandtheImp
Victor Jr

Post by JayandtheImp »

tomb wrote:I will bet he offers some Edison light beer. :lol: :lol: Tom B
I gave a friend a nice bottle of absinthe for helping move my Edison and Victor Consoles.

epigramophone
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: An analogue relic trapped in a digital world.

Post by epigramophone »

52089 wrote:How do you all move larger upright/console machines around, e.g., between the house and car/van? Right now I've been relying on the kindness of my landlord, but that's not really fair to him.

Do you use a hand truck? A flatbed? Pros and cons? I figured the hand truck was probably the best way, but the "standard" hand truck is only 22" wide and the wider "appliance" truck weighs almost as much as a small machine!

All thoughts and ideas welcome.

Thanks in advance!
Young people. They do have their uses!