A-150 Question

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
SonnyPhono
Victor III
Personal Text: Drawing a blank...

A-150 Question

Post by SonnyPhono »

I was offered an Edison Diamond Disc model A-150 tonight and am not sure if it is worth it or not. I thought it looked like a clean machine and the gentleman has a few other models that are all in nice working condition. In doing a little research about it, I found that this model is the only diamond disc model that has the copper oxidized parts. Other than that, it looks normal.

He said he would sell it to me for $250, including all the records in the picture. Is this a good deal for a clean A-150? Are they common? Thanks for the help!

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Re: A-150 Question

Post by Valecnik »

SonnyPhono,

Bear in mind my natural Edison bias but I think the A150 is a very attractive machine with the oxidised parts as you point out, decorated bedplate. It has a very industrial looking motor. This one appears in good condition. Not a super strong motor but okay. Getting a few of the original books is a nice plus. If you have not inspected the records, assume many are scruffy. It does not look like there's been paper between alot of them.

In spite of the many positives for many people it's just another upright. That's why you can get this rather rare machine for ~$250. I think the price is fine if you like the machine.

BTW, do you have Frow's books? You could get more in depth answers more quickly by a quick read. You are probably still up half the night anyway with your new babyola so having something by the bed to read can be a good idea. :lol:

If you pick up the machine let me know. I'd like to compare serial numbers and details with mine if you are interested.

Valecnik.

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

If the reproducer and diamond are in good shape, you could probably get at least half or close to that $ amount listing the reproducer alone on eBay.

I don't think they're all together "scarce/rare" although a lot of these machines "got the chop", that is people would cut off the legs and turn it into a tabletop.

The Edison disc books are def a nice little addition.

What is extremely "scarce/rare" is there was a drawer sold that would sit on the bottom. I've only seen one in person.

Also, I think the W-19/250 also came with oxidized parts, so I don't think this was the only model.

No offense, because most people I know I love Edison's... but this model (to me) is not eye pleasing for some reason. :-/

So, overall IMHO... I don't think $250 is a bad price for what you'd be getting.

Brad
Victor III
Personal Text: So many phonographs, so little money

Post by Brad »

Personally, I find the model interesting just by the nature of it's design - with the open lower section. I have been looking one and would be happy to pay $250 for what you are considering.

As with any collectable, it you like it, buy it.

Good luck
Why do we need signatures when we are on a first avatar basis?

Valecnik
Victor VI
Personal Text: Edison Records - Close your eyes and see if the artist does not actually seem to be before you.

Post by Valecnik »

phonophan79 wrote: What is extremely "scarce/rare" is there was a drawer sold that would sit on the bottom. I've only seen one in person.

Also, I think the W-19/250 also came with oxidized parts, so I don't think this was the only model.

No offense, because most people I know I love Edison's... but this model (to me) is not eye pleasing for some reason. :-/

So, overall IMHO... I don't think $250 is a bad price for what you'd be getting.
Phonophan79,
I've never seen one of the drawers for the bottom, except in pictures. In a way I wish I had one of the drawers but I also think they look the best with the bottom open.

Regarding the W-19/250 having oxidised parts, I've only seen them with slightly different versions of the "Antiqued" (gun metal) finish. I featured one as featured phono awhile back. I wonder if you are confusing the finishes? This one isn't oxidised. http://forum.talkingmachine.info/viewto ... it=william

I have to disagree on the last point. To me this is one of the more attractive models. It's good we are not all chasing the exact same thing though. ;)

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

I just picked one of these up this last weekend- it's also in mahogany. I paid slightly less, but think the storage books are worth the extra $$ since mine did not have them. If the legs are all in good shape, not broken off and repaired, and the paint on the bedplate is in good condition, I think it's a good deal.

Steve

phonophan79
Victor IV

Post by phonophan79 »

Valecnik wrote:Regarding the W-19/250 having oxidised parts, I've only seen them with slightly different versions of the "Antiqued" (gun metal) finish. I featured one as featured phono awhile back. I wonder if you are confusing the finishes?

I have to disagree on the last point. To me this is one of the more attractive models. It's good we are not all chasing the exact same thing though. ;)
Hrmm, you may be right... I was under the impression the W-19/250 came with the oxidized reproducer... but I will have to defer to someone more knowledgeable on the issue.

...and yes, it is nice that we all have different tastes. ;)

I went to look at a phonograph once near Binghamton, NY ... He was showing me his collection and I saw the A-100 (or 150) with "the infamous drawer". It told him I had never seen one with the drawer like that. ...actually if Sonny could get his hands on three more Edison books, it could be a handsome way to display Edison books on an Edison machine... since no other machine would allow for that.

JohnM
Victor V

Post by JohnM »

The W-series models have a bronzy solid color finish applied to the metal, not the two-tone black & copper-like dots, stripes, and swirls of the "oxidized bronze" metal finish.

The shelf was always intended to hold something be it books or the "infamous drawer", not to simply be open.
"All of us have a place in history. Mine is clouds." Richard Brautigan

FellowCollector
Victor IV

Post by FellowCollector »

You're very fortunate Sonnyphono. Seems every few days you find or are offered some interesting phonograph items. :P If you have not already purchased the A-150 and you have room for it, you should. The Diamond Disc 'A' series models from the A-150 and higher are always a treat to find and, as mentioned earlier, the original record 'albums' are VERY scarce today as they were easily separated from the "shelf model" Edisons and (sadly) discarded over the years. If I were offered the machine and records at that price they'd already be in our home. I would find room somewhere for them. Yes, the earlier etched label Edison records that usually accompany the A series Edison DD machines have (generally) some pretty mediocre material recorded on them and their surfaces tend to be on the noisy side, but there are also some titles lurking about in this series that appear on Edison nowhere else. I have most of the A series Edison DD machines and have been casually looking for a nice original A-150 and this appears to be a nice example. Please keep us posted!

schweg
Victor III

Post by schweg »

I just checked Valencik's machine pics and noted that the reproducer has a sound control baffle built in. The one I just got is the same. I don't recall seeing that before. The one pictured here does not appear to have that. Is it indicative of an early machine if the sound baffle is present?