Diaphragm material used in Claravox reproducer?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
A Ford 1
Victor II

Diaphragm material used in Claravox reproducer?

Post by A Ford 1 »

Hi all,
Does any one know what the diaphragm of the Caravox reproducer is made of?
I bought a Caravox reproducer,designed to play Edison Diamond Discs, the other week. It's diaphragm looks like it might be sheet Micarta with an annulus of cork centered on the the point of needle bar contact. The diaphragm at the attachment point to the needle bar has a very small well defined dimple toward the needle bar.
Micarta: linen, cotton, fiber glass or other fabric including paper inpregnated with a cured thermonsetting resin like phenolic,epoxy,polyester etc.
The cork annulus I think is there to mitigate the first several natural harmonics of the diaphragm it also would generate something like a tweeter ,the small undamped diaphragm within the inner annulus, and woofer,the entire diaphragm working in the displacment shape of it's fundamental frequency in the lower frequency range of the music.
This makes it very similar to the Edison Diamond Disc reproducer diaphragm excepting for the cork not covering the central disc of the inside diameter of the annulus and shellac in place of the thermosetting plastic. Comparing it to an Edison diaphragm the Claravox's brown color is much darker than the Edison but looks similar in other respects.
Later to day I hope to have my wife,Leslie, assist me in posting photos and eventually I will send it to Steve to rebuild.
Allen