Edison Std Model D - Lid Label Prototype-NEW-aged image

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
NEFaurora
Victor IV
Personal Text: "A Phonograph in every home..."

Re: Edison Std Model D - Lid Label Prototype-NEW-aged image

Post by NEFaurora »

How much are you charging for each on this initial run?

:0)

Tony K.

Edison Collector/Restorer

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Needle Tins are Addictive

Post by Curt A »

$20 includes shipping...
"The phonograph† is not of any commercial value."
Thomas Alva Edison - Comment to his assistant, Samuel Insull.

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Menophanes
Victor II

Post by Menophanes »

If I had seen Curt's reconstruction without any prior knowledge of the original, I doubt if I would have guessed that it was not an exact facsimile; it looks convincingly like a piece of jobbing printing from about 1910, and while the typefaces used are not the ones actually employed by Edison's printer, they could very well have been. (Although I am not an academic or a person of any status, I have been an obsessive student of historical printing styles for more than fifty years, and so I can claim to speak with some authority.) My heartiest congratulations to Curt.

Oliver Mundy.

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

Thanks for the kind words, Oliver... I too have been interested in historic printing and typefaces. Over the years, I have restored a number of different printed images and re-created newly made stereoviews, since photography is another interest.

I guess my interest started as a prank in seventh grade... I had an algebra teacher who was old and crotchety and who had a very bad teaching method. At the same time, he proclaimed himself to be an expert on coins and currency. I just wanted to see if I could fool the "expert" and had a pack of repro Confederate bills that were plainly marked "facsimile".

So, I set out to create a believable bill, even though they were printed on cheap paper. First, I baked it in the oven and slightly darkened the edges over a burner and that obscured the word facsimile. It still did not have the right feel for circulated currency, so I decided to coat it with light oil.

After it dried, I took it to school to show the expert and he was amazed that I could find an original in relatively good condition in Michigan, where they were not that common... Luckily, it did not lead to a life of crime as a forger... although I was able to park in the faculty lot at college with a handmade parking sticker in my window...

"No one needs a Victrola XX, a Perfected Graphophone Type G, or whatever you call those noisy things."
My Wife

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Curt A wrote:Thanks for the kind words, Oliver... I too have been interested in historic printing and typefaces. Over the years, I have restored a number of different printed images and re-created newly made stereoviews, since photography is another interest.

I guess my interest started as a prank in seventh grade... I had an algebra teacher who was old and crotchety and who had a very bad teaching method. At the same time, he proclaimed himself to be an expert on coins and currency. I just wanted to see if I could fool the "expert" and had a pack of repro Confederate bills that were plainly marked "facsimile".

So, I set out to create a believable bill, even though they were printed on cheap paper. First, I baked it in the oven and slightly darkened the edges over a burner and that obscured the word facsimile. It still did not have the right feel for circulated currency, so I decided to coat it with light oil.

After it dried, I took it to school to show the expert and he was amazed that I could find an original in relatively good condition in Michigan, where they were not that common... Luckily, it did not lead to a life of crime as a forger... although I was able to park in the faculty lot at college with a handmade parking sticker in my window...
I don't suppose you subscribe to National Geographic?

Check out the new issue.... ;)

Bill

Curt A
Victor Monarch Special

Post by Curt A »

No, I don't subscribe... what article would I be looking for?

My Wife

Lucius1958
Victor VI

Post by Lucius1958 »

Curt A wrote:No, I don't subscribe... what article would I be looking for?
The cover article: "Why We Lie".

Bill