Edison Projecting Kinetoscope Information Wanted

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
StL Bill
Victor I

Edison Projecting Kinetoscope Information Wanted

Post by StL Bill »

I am looking for any Forum members that have an Edison Kinetoscope with the film reel holders identical to the upper and lower film holders that are shown in this picture. I also need some information on the small wooden roller section shown between the lamp housing and the projector mechanism .I would like to talk with you and get some information on all of these items. This would help greatly in the restoration of the Projector that I am working on. Thanks
$(KGrHqVHJCsE7z-UF,W7BO9Pm(O(L!~~60_3.jpg
$(KGrHqVHJCsE7z-UF,W7BO9Pm(O(L!~~60_3.jpg (34.29 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
Bill

Phototone
Victor III

Re: Edison Projecting Kinetoscope Information Wanted

Post by Phototone »

Many of the earliest projectors had a provision for dumping the film loosely in a bag under the machine as it was projected, rather than a take-up reel. I wonder if the wooden roller might have anything to do with that possible feature. Also, I wonder if the wooden roller has anything to do with a different path for the film, if one uses the machine for rewinding the film? It seems the only reel with a drive is the take-up reel, so the reels would have to be interchanged for rewind. More pictures both sides of the machine might help.

briankeith
Victor IV
Personal Text: Jeepster

Post by briankeith »

I have several Edison Kinetoscope films in their original cans - they are super flammable (and smell very weird) ...

StL Bill
Victor I

Post by StL Bill »

Phototone wrote:Many of the earliest projectors had a provision for dumping the film loosely in a bag under the machine as it was projected, rather than a take-up reel. I wonder if the wooden roller might have anything to do with that possible feature. Also, I wonder if the wooden roller has anything to do with a different path for the film, if one uses the machine for rewinding the film? It seems the only reel with a drive is the take-up reel, so the reels would have to be interchanged for rewind. More pictures both sides of the machine might help.
You are correct, some of the early projectors did that, but not this particular Edison model. You cannot see it in the picture because the top reel holder is installed backwards in this picture, But the top reel holder has two gears and a crank handle to rewind the film back on to the reel at the end of the film.
As far as the wooden roller assembly, it was used in the projection of the film, not the rewinding of the film. The information that I need is all of the dimensions and possibly to borrow one to make a mold that can be used in the recasting of this piece. It was missing on my projector, but the outline of it could be seen on the wooden base. If any one has one that would be willing to let me use to make a mold, it would be appreciated. It is a sandcasting process that does not harm the original in any way.

Bill