How far would you drive for a machine?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
gmoodyii
Victor Jr

How far would you drive for a machine?

Post by gmoodyii »

Acquired my first machine last week, a Victrola. Needs a little TLC but a bargain at $100.00. At least I think so. A little over 4 hour round trip to get it home.
I am wanting to go ahead and get a Edison Diamond Disk model 250 while I am in the buying mood. Found one in good shape about an hour away, but turns out it looks like a scam. They were always busy, gave me a disconnected phone number etc... So my search continues. Seems like I live in an Edison black hole because everything I find is at least 6 hours away.
So how far would you drive for a machine you wanted?
Attachments
image.jpg

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Re: How far would you drive for a machine?

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Welcome!

It depends on what machine, the rarity, how badly I wanted it, the price, etc. I drove from Detroit, MI to Wayne, NJ to pick up my Opera, a 21-hour round trip drive. I wouldn't drive that far for most machines, but it was worth it to me to ensure that it was transported safely.

Out of curiosity, here do you live? Someone here may be able to help you find a Diamond Disc machine.

Ripduf1
Victor III
Personal Text: HORNS ROLLED & STRAIGHTENED

Post by Ripduf1 »

Fill in your user profile to include your location, it is possible a fellow member could help you out.

1. Log in
2. select "user profile" in the top right corner
3. select "profile" which is on the left side of that screen
4. type into the "location" field your town, state, region something to give us a clue.

save/update. And sign your posts, Best Regards, John
Horns rolled and straightened

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

gmoodyii wrote:Acquired my first machine last week, a Victrola. Needs a little TLC but a bargain at $100.00. At least I think so. A little over 4 hour round trip to get it home.
I am wanting to go ahead and get a Edison Diamond Disk model 250 while I am in the buying mood. Found one in good shape about an hour away, but turns out it looks like a scam. They were always busy, gave me a disconnected phone number etc... So my search continues. Seems like I live in an Edison black hole because everything I find is at least 6 hours away.
So how far would you drive for a machine you wanted?
How many Diamond Disc machines do you want? Mahogany or oak? How about a couple fo Orthophonics or an Amberola while you are at it? Might make a trip worthwhile.;)

gmoodyii
Victor Jr

Post by gmoodyii »

I am almost smack dab in the center of the country, North Western Tennessee. Apparently 6 hours from everywhere!! :)
So where you at Uncle??

EdisonWizard
Victor III

Post by EdisonWizard »

Wish someone was near me :cry: lol
J.F.

Jerry B.
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: Stop for a visit when in Oregon.

Post by Jerry B. »

My longest one day trip was from Albany, Oregon to Spokane, Washington and back in one day. It was a 900+ mile trip in the late fall and I drove my VW Rabbit convertible. I was picking up an oak half barrel cylinder record cabinet. My plan was to take the top down and place it in the back seat. When I arrived it was snowing. I pulled into the seller's carport, took down the top, loaded the cabinet and headed home. A good portion of the trip was in the beautiful Columbia Gorge where the wind is always blowing. A 1987 VW convertible is not the quietest car even with a good top. At freeway speed and driving into a 40mph headwind the noise inside the little car was deafening. I had an overnight bag with me and when I stopped for gas I dug through the bag for some earplugs. It helped... a little bit. Would I do it again? You bet, I'm a phono nerd.

Jerry Blais

Hailey
Victor III

Post by Hailey »

"So how far would you drive for a machine you wanted?"

Depending on what is is...there is no limit.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Thanks to the generosity of members here and friends all over the country, I've had things get "handed off" to others, sometimes even by several, until it could finally make it's way home to me. This is one of the great things internet and this great group. I've certainly done my share of traveling to pick things up, too, but not as much as many others I know.

Sean

Uncle Vanya
Victor IV

Post by Uncle Vanya »

Southern Michigan, about six hours from you, actually.;)

I am in the process of getting rid of a great many surplus machines. A trip up here into Phonoland might be fun, if you can spare the time. It would, I am sure, be to your profit. These days I am selling C250 and C19 machines with nice original finishes for the price I ask for a rebuilt reproducer, $160.00. At that, I also will throw in fifty or sixty good condition records.

I have got rid of many items, but still have a good supply of several models of Orthophonic Victrola, and a plethora of Amberola 30,50, and 75 machines.