How far would you drive for a machine?

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
melvind
Victor IV

Re: How far would you drive for a machine?

Post by melvind »

My longest trip was in the early 2000s. I found a Orthophonic Credenza machine on Ebay for $500 about an hour east of Lewiston, Idaho. A friend and I decided to drive from Portland, Oregon which is about 350 miles. The trip took most of the day and we stayed over night in Lewiston and picked up the machine the next day.

On the way home we stopped at a few small town antique stores and one of my favorite finds came from those stops. My friend was looking through a box of 78 records on the floor and called me over to show me these strange records that said they were not for sale but were for display purposes. There was one red label and one black label Victor advertising records I assume intended for window or store display. They are shellac like normal records but the grooves have no music on them and it states they are not to be played. I still have them displayed in my collection as is the Credenza.

All in all I probably spent as much on the trip as I spent on the machine. But, my friend and I had a great trip and I will never forget it. Well worth it to me.

Dan

Oceangoer1
Victor III
Personal Text: "I dreamt of Paris again last night"-Roger

Post by Oceangoer1 »

Welcome to the forum! I see your located quite close to me! There are a couple of us collectors who live in the Memphis area.

I've driven long distances for several of my machines. A couple have come from the Denver, CO area and that's about an 1,100 mile trip (2,200 mile round trip) from my house. I've also done some 6 and 7 hour drives down to the Gulf Coast for some Orthophonics.

-Connor

gmoodyii
Victor Jr

Post by gmoodyii »

This is what I love about these forums and groups, there are some really great people willing to help out a newbe! :)
I will be sending out a couple PM's!

CharliePhono
Victor III
Personal Text: "The kerosene record player is not a very efficient device." ~Frank Zappa

Post by CharliePhono »

Welcome, GMoody! Yeah, sometimes the "wants" get in the way of the "needs" or even how much time and $$ a trip to collect a phonograph are going to end up being. I recently made an 8-hour round trip (loathsome San Francisco traffic) to collect a tired and somewhat tattered little waif of a Victor Consolette. I have very little space in my pad for a cabinet phono, but that one fit the bill well. I spent more on gas and time of refurbishment than it's worth, but it was well worth it to me in the end (worth being a very relative term). Plus, adding one of MicaMonster's superbly rebuilt Orthophonic soundboxes to it made it all worthwhile.

gmoodyii
Victor Jr

Post by gmoodyii »

I too often get caught up in the thinking about the who's and what's of something. Who could have originally purchased the machine and what the family might have been like. How many people listened to the machine, I believe these machines like any other develop a life and history of their own. Hate too see anything not have a second chance at life.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

I drive almost every year (but not this year :cry: ) to Union, IL, which is about a 10 hour drive. On one occasion I drove 12 hours one-way from western New York State into northern Maine (near Bar Harbor) for an Amberola III. I've made many 2-3 hour (one-way) trips...
gmoodyii wrote:I too often get caught up in the thinking about the who's and what's of something. Who could have originally purchased the machine and what the family might have been like. How many people listened to the machine, I believe these machines like any other develop a life and history of their own.
I'm currently working with two different historical societies in southern Maine to track down the house of the original owner of a machine I recently acquired. I was told today that getting pictures will cost $25-$50 - - if the house is still standing. I told them to go ahead. If things turn out well, I'll be writing an article about the model and the particular example whose history I'm tracking, to appear in The Antique Phonograph.

It all sounds a little obsessive, doesn't it? :lol:

George P.

phonolamplighter
Victor O
Personal Text: Say it With Music

Post by phonolamplighter »

How far indeed!

Our longest journey (so far) was 4 days, 3,000 miles, from Portland, Oregon to Phoenix, Arizona, and back. The machine we bought was a floor model Modernola. This machine was on our 'wish list' and the price was right at $200. The seller was moving and downsizing, so they added a Pathé' floor model as a bonus, no charge!

Of course, to break the monotony of such a long road trip, there were stops in Reno, Las Vegas, and Winnemuca!

A very pleasant road trip to buy such a desirable machine. That makes an 8 hour round trip to Seattle seem short and sweet.

Please don't ask what else is on the wish list!
Ed and Nancy

melvind
Victor IV

Post by melvind »

phonogfp wrote:I drive almost every year (but not this year :cry: ) to Union, IL, which is about a 10 hour drive.
Well, when it comes to the Union show, that is a different story. I have traveled either by air or by truck to the Union show for most of the last 20 years. In a truck we take about a week from Northern Oregon. I think we usually drive a bout 2500 miles each way. I find it the most rewarding phonograph trip I take each year. As much fun as a social event as opportunity to sell and buy phonographs. Anyone that is hesitant about attending should bite the bullet and go. It is wonderful.

Any first timers might want to pair up with a friend that has gone before. It can be a bit overwhelming the first time.

Dan