looks like it would clean up nicely...

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
phonophan79
Victor IV

looks like it would clean up nicely...

Post by phonophan79 »

Always wanted one, but now's not the time, money or space... :-)

Looks like it would clean up nicely... and if it goes for that opening bid, cheapest I've ever seen one go for...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0358463944

OrthoSean
Victor V

Re: looks like it would clean up nicely...

Post by OrthoSean »

Wow, someone got a deal. I'm not a big fan of Columbia machines, but I've always liked the way these look. A friend of mine has one in excellent shape and it's a real looker!

Sean

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

Columbia machines have performance problems but that machine is ALL about looks- Wow!

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

That looks indeed like a great shot. I find Columbia generally more exciting than others as they always tried to implement the very latest improvements. A well restored Columbia should not have any more performance problems than a Victor or an Edison. This piano looks really cute.

estott
Victor Monarch
Personal Text: I have good days...this might not be one of them

Post by estott »

The performance problems are mostly in the tone arm. Until the late 20's Columbia didn't use and sort of bearing in their tone arms and relied on a friction fit- so either it's loose and the sound leaks or more often it's tight and the groove takes a beating pushing the arm across the record- getting the fitting just right is tricky and could have been avoided if they'd spent a little more and used bearings. Other than that they're fine machines with good motors and often interesting features.

WDC
Victor IV

Post by WDC »

Thank you for the details, I wasn't aware of that problemm. The machines I have come by were all in real nice working condition. Of course, that's indeed at least a potential problem.