Victor I

Re: Couple newbie questions

Post by Columbia78 »

George, Thank you---

martinola
Victor III

Post by martinola »

Columbia78 wrote:Is it possible to just attach one of the JAS reproduction automatic reproducer to a 1904 vintage Standard in place of the existing model C, so I can play my one brown wax cylinder?
One thing I would be aware of when using a new or original Automatic on a post 1901 Edison machine is that the carrier arm was re-designed to have a locating pin at the 12 o'clock position. An Automatic or earlier type reproducer will not have the notch at 12 o'clock for the pin. While some folks in the past have filed one in their Automatics, I really wouldn't encourage that. I'd either get a Model B or get a spare early type carrier arm from one of the parts suppliers out there. (Nothing is ever simple, is it?)

Best Wishes and good luck!

Martin

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Excellent point, Martin - - I should have thought of that.

A Model B should sound better anyway, and cost less to boot.

George P.

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

Are the model B reproducers easy to find? Any ideas where I might come up with one?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

Columbia78 wrote:Are the model B reproducers easy to find? Any ideas where I might come up with one?
They're not as easy as a C or an H, but they turn up regularly. Post a "wanted" ad in the "Yankee Trader" section of this forum. (Read the directions first!)

You can set an eBay search for an Edison B reproducer (but be sure you don't buy a Diamond B reproducer - - entirely different animals).

Good luck!

George P.

tomb
Victor IV

Post by tomb »

I put a B reproducer in my standard A and it sounded low but not bad for the brown wax. It was louder than the automatic but the automatic may need a rebuild. I did not realize that the B would damage the soft brown wax cylinders and to only play them with the auto. Thanks for the information I hope I did not damage my cylinders. Tom

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

tomb wrote: I did not realize that the B would damage the soft brown wax cylinders and to only play them with the auto. Thanks for the information I hope I did not damage my cylinders. Tom
A Model B reproducer will not damage brown wax any more than an Automatic.

George P.

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

Would a Columbia BK with a Lyric reproducer be suitable for playing brown wax cylinders?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Columbia78 wrote:Would a Columbia BK with a Lyric reproducer be suitable for playing brown wax cylinders?
I wouldn't, because some of the spring-loaded Lyrics seem to exert a lot of pressure on the cylinder.

George P.