Couple newbie questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
hearsedriver
Victor III

Re: Couple newbie questions

Post by hearsedriver »

phonogfp wrote:
hearsedriver wrote:Since we are on the subject, can a C reproducer be modified to play brown wax, such as cutting off the tail weight?
It's not just the weight. The C's stylus has an elliptical shape rather than the ball stylus of an Automatic, B, or Graphophone. That elliptical shape concentrates the weight in a narrow arc across the bottom of the groove. It's better to use a reproducer with a ball shaped stylus instead of destroying a Model C.

George P.
I wouldnt destroy a C. There are plenty of orphan tail weights on ebay. The Standard reproducer are just too expensive for me.

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

hearsedriver wrote:
I wouldnt destroy a C. There are plenty of orphan tail weights on ebay. The Standard reproducer are just too expensive for me.
The Standard Speaker is indeed a pricey item, but you wouldn't want to play brown wax with that because of its limited lateral compliance. The Automatic was introduced early on as a better playing alternative to the Standard, but they too command healthy dollars these days. However, an outstanding reproduction Automatic is currently offered by JAS Antiques:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321393269349?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

The best bang for your brown-wax buck on an Edison machine would be a Model B Reproducer. These are commonly found, use a ball stylus, and should cost no more than a Model C.

George P.

hearsedriver
Victor III

Post by hearsedriver »

phonogfp wrote:
hearsedriver wrote:
The Standard Speaker is indeed a pricey item, but you wouldn't want to play brown wax with that because of its limited lateral compliance. The Automatic was introduced early on as a better playing alternative to the Standard, but they too command healthy dollars these days. However, an outstanding reproduction Automatic is currently offered by JAS Antiques:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/321393269349?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

The best bang for your brown-wax buck on an Edison machine would be a Model B Reproducer. These are commonly found, use a ball stylus, and should cost no more than a Model C.

George P.
Thanks George. I didnt know about the Model B !

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

The Model B was standard equipment on Gems for several years, as well as several Edison coin-ops. As you can see, it used the same tube plate as the Model C, but with a round, Automatic-style weight. (The Model B was an improved form of Automatic.) There are a variety of weights found on Model Bs. Steve Medved wrote about the Model B in an issue of The Antique Phonograph a couple of years ago and shows many of the weight variations.

This particular Model B had an adjusting lever which I removed and placed inside the machine it's currently on.

George P.
B1.JPG
B2.JPG

hearsedriver
Victor III

Post by hearsedriver »

Interesting George. I'll have to search for one. I was wondering why my brown cylinder home recordings have degraded so quickly. Ive been using a C to play them ;(

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

hearsedriver wrote: I was wondering why my brown cylinder home recordings have degraded so quickly. Ive been using a C to play them ;(
Oh no... Sorry to hear that. The Antique Phonograph Society has an article posted in an attempt to help prevent that kind of damage from happening. Although a Model B isn't shown in the illustrations, it's mentioned in a few captions:

https://www.antiquephono.org/basic-anti ... onal-tips/

Meanwhile, if you play your brown wax on your Eagle or your Q, it should diminish the wear. Even better: record your brown wax digitally or on tape for casual listening and save the original records for special occasions. :)

George P.

Django
Victor IV

Post by Django »

This forum has a wealth of information. Just in this topic alone, irreversible damage to irreplaceable brown wax cylinders has been avoided. Maybe a book of does and don'ts for the antique phonograph enthusiast would be a good venture, if only we knew someone who has a nack for writing and lots of knowledge......

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

Is it possible to just attach one of the JAS reproduction automatic reproducer to a 1904 vintage Standard in place of the existing model C, so I can play my one brown wax cylinder?

Columbia78
Victor I

Post by Columbia78 »

Columbia78 wrote:Is it possible to just attach one of the JAS reproduction automatic reproducers to a 1904 vintage Standard in place of the existing model C, so I can play my one brown wax cylinder?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special

Post by phonogfp »

Columbia78 wrote:Is it possible to just attach one of the JAS reproduction automatic reproducer to a 1904 vintage Standard in place of the existing model C, so I can play my one brown wax cylinder?
Yes, absolutely.

George P.