Couple newbie questions

Discussions on Talking Machines & Accessories
Amberolaguys
Victor Jr

Couple newbie questions

Post by Amberolaguys »

Is playing a Brown Wax cylinder on a Model C reproducer a bad idea?

If so, is it possible to attach a Model B or Automatic reproducer to an Edison Standard? Or is this only possible with the earlier phonographs?

Are Wooden Horns truly better than other types of Horns?

I have managed to record music on my Edison Standard. But is it a better idea to record on a Triumph or Home? Or are the results more or less the same?

Victor A
Victor I
Personal Text: "Are you suggesting coconuts migrate?" - Graham Chapman

Re: Couple newbie questions

Post by Victor A »

Welcome to the forum!

You should NOT play brown wax cylinders with a model C reproducer, as the heavy weight will damage the record.

You can most definitely attach an Automatic to a Standard produced prior to 1902, as that was the reproducer that came with the machine. The Model B was intended for denser brown wax, and I believe you can attach one to a Standard as well.

Generally, wood horns seem to have a less "metallic" and sharp timbre to me, but that's more of a preference.

The Triumph is a stronger machine and has a more powerful motor, and will make a better recording. It also helps to have a large horn meant for recording.

-Jack
SOUSA, The March King, says:

"Your 'VICTOR' and 'MONARCH' Records are all right."

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Victor A wrote:You can most definitely attach an Automatic to a Standard produced prior to 1902
Or you could probably buy an entire Columbia Eagle (Graphophone Model B) which has a floating reproducer for about the cost of an Edison Automatic reproducer. That's what I tend to play brown wax with, it's very gentle.
columbia_graphophone.jpg
columbia_graphophone.jpg (38.95 KiB) Viewed 2346 times

Oceangoer1
Victor III
Personal Text: "I dreamt of Paris again last night"-Roger

Post by Oceangoer1 »

HisMastersVoice wrote:Or you could probably buy an entire Columbia Eagle (Graphophone Model B) which has a floating reproducer for about the cost of an Edison Automatic reproducer. That's what I tend to play brown wax with, it's very gentle.
I know the earlier style floating reproducer was suited for brown wax. Are the later floating reproducers ok for brown wax as well? I was wondering because I think the reproduction floating reproducers are copies of the later style of this reproducer, and I just bought one for an Eagle.

OrthoSean
Victor V

Post by OrthoSean »

Oceangoer1 wrote:I know the earlier style floating reproducer was suited for brown wax. Are the later floating reproducers ok for brown wax as well? I was wondering because I think the reproduction floating reproducers are copies of the later style of this reproducer, and I just bought one for an Eagle.
Yes, they are, I've used both types for brown wax. The larger ones only have a larger mica for louder sound, at least that's always been my impression. If anyone else has another opinion, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Sean

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

You're right Sean.

The larger Graphophone floating reproducers do a nice job with brown wax with minimal weight. I use a D1 reproducer (although the D2 is just as good) on a Type C Graphophone as my "go-to" brown wax machine.

George P.

Amberolaguys
Victor Jr

Post by Amberolaguys »

Thanks for clearing things up guys.

Do these old edison automatics or Columbia graphophones allow for the use of large horn attachments or wooden horns?

I wish triumphs allowed the use of automatics that'd make things a lot easier. I'm not too keen on these tin horns.

HisMastersVoice
Auxetophone

Post by HisMastersVoice »

Larger horn on the Edison would require a horn crane. Larger horn on the eagle would require a separate floor crane.

hearsedriver
Victor III

Post by hearsedriver »

Since we are on the subject, can a C reproducer be modified to play brown wax, such as cutting off the tail weight?

phonogfp
Victor Monarch Special
Personal Text: "If you look for the bad in people expecting to find it, you surely will." - A. Lincoln

Post by phonogfp »

hearsedriver wrote:Since we are on the subject, can a C reproducer be modified to play brown wax, such as cutting off the tail weight?
It's not just the weight. The C's stylus has an elliptical shape rather than the ball stylus of an Automatic, B, or Graphophone. That elliptical shape concentrates the weight in a narrow arc across the bottom of the groove. It's better to use a reproducer with a ball shaped stylus instead of destroying a Model C.

George P.